183-year-old Carlisle sawmill set to shut down
A sawmill in Carlisle is to close after 183 years. Alexander Sawmills The Alexandra Sawmills Ltd on Byron Street, off Caldewgate, will shut on Wednesday with the loss of 11 jobs, the News & Star understands.
The sawmill was founded in 1830 by the late Robert Creighton - a former mayor and freeman of the city - in the name of R and JR Creighton Ltd (Alexandra Steam Sawmills).
It is understood that many of the current employees have worked for the firm for more than 20 years.
Those who live and work in Caldewgate say they are disappointed to hear of the closure, the reasons for which are... read more
- 09:14 'Police die' in Egypt drive-by shooting
- 09:06 New Look, Oasis and Zara: The best monochrome outfits of the season
- 09:04 How to talk to anyone: the experts' guide
- 09:04 My hero: Albert Einstein by Graham Farmelo
- 09:04 Manchester United told to pay £30m to seal transfer of Leicester...
- 09:03 13 reasons you should ditch the pram and try "babywearing' now
- 09:03 The new Amazon Fire TV Stick advert: poor Jeremy Clarkson’s forever...
- 09:02 City news: Patisserie Valerie, Bank of England, Clydesdale Bank and...
- 09:00 Organisation upbeat about its new direction
- 08:58 New hens cooping well