183-year-old Carlisle sawmill set to shut down
A sawmill in Carlisle is to close after 183 years. Alexander Sawmills The Alexandra Sawmills Ltd on Byron Street, off Caldewgate, will shut on Wednesday with the loss of 11 jobs, the News & Star understands.
The sawmill was founded in 1830 by the late Robert Creighton - a former mayor and freeman of the city - in the name of R and JR Creighton Ltd (Alexandra Steam Sawmills).
It is understood that many of the current employees have worked for the firm for more than 20 years.
Those who live and work in Caldewgate say they are disappointed to hear of the closure, the reasons for which are... read more
- 10:27 Fantasist conman posed as F1 chief
- 10:22 Cold War Two IS happening: Russia signals the end of uneasy...
- 10:21 Hollywood stars descend on London for BAFTAS as Leonardo DiCaprio...
- 10:18 We're making waves: How great thinkers have gravitated to our...
- 10:13 Brighter City award for University of Derby's new sports centre
- 10:06 15 moments of pure joy when you’re home alone
- 10:06 14 Valentine’s Day cocktails every single person will fall in...
- 10:05 How I get ready: Jenny Eclair
- 10:03 Greek banks won't need further recapitalisation, ECB's Nouy says
- 10:02 Cristiano Ronaldo is dribbling less than ever and has not scored in...