183-year-old Carlisle sawmill set to shut down
A sawmill in Carlisle is to close after 183 years. Alexander Sawmills The Alexandra Sawmills Ltd on Byron Street, off Caldewgate, will shut on Wednesday with the loss of 11 jobs, the News & Star understands.
The sawmill was founded in 1830 by the late Robert Creighton - a former mayor and freeman of the city - in the name of R and JR Creighton Ltd (Alexandra Steam Sawmills).
It is understood that many of the current employees have worked for the firm for more than 20 years.
Those who live and work in Caldewgate say they are disappointed to hear of the closure, the reasons for which are not yet known.
Castle ward Labour councillor, Willie Whalen, said: “Any jobs that are lost is a... read more
Most read news
- 14:29 TransAsia Plane Emergency Landing 'Kills 51'
- 14:26 Lincoln nurse accused of giving an elderly woman sleeping tablets...
- 14:25 Rugby mast site to feature on BBC documentary
- 14:25 Pedestrian taken to Northampton General Hospital with serious...
- 13:57 The Cuchini fills a gap in the anti-camel toe market no one ever...
- 13:27 Liverpool Transfer News: Shaqiri boost, Manquillo terms AGREED,...
- 12:03 Arsene Wenger is right, Arsenal do NOT need another centre-forward
- 11:17 Arsenal make offer to sign Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas on...
- 11:15 Manchester United unveil new away kit: White strip will be last...
- 11:00 Liverpool transfer news: Loic Remy undergoes medical in Boston...