183-year-old Carlisle sawmill set to shut down
A sawmill in Carlisle is to close after 183 years. Alexander Sawmills The Alexandra Sawmills Ltd on Byron Street, off Caldewgate, will shut on Wednesday with the loss of 11 jobs, the News & Star understands.
The sawmill was founded in 1830 by the late Robert Creighton - a former mayor and freeman of the city - in the name of R and JR Creighton Ltd (Alexandra Steam Sawmills).
It is understood that many of the current employees have worked for the firm for more than 20 years.
Those who live and work in Caldewgate say they are disappointed to hear of the closure, the reasons for which are not yet known.
Castle ward Labour councillor, Willie Whalen, said: “Any jobs that are lost is a... read more
Most read news
- 07:53 Today’s weather
- 07:50 Salisbury on top 10 cities list
- 07:47 A quarter of shoppers have faced problems with an online delivery -...
- 07:47 Over-55s in record £1billion equity raid on their homes: Older...
- 07:46 Van Gaal: We can catch Chelsea
- 07:40 Hull City's Michael Dawson: 'Squad is strong enough to cope with...
- 07:40 QUIZ NIGHT: Church Gresley fun quiz raises £740 for charity
- 07:33 Man Utd News: £20m Pique Old Trafford RETURN, Di Maria slammed,...
- 07:30 Derbyshire Bonfire Night displays – LIST OF EVENTS
- 07:29 Derbyshire Bonfire Night displays – LIST OF EVENTS