183-year-old Carlisle sawmill set to shut down
A sawmill in Carlisle is to close after 183 years. Alexander Sawmills The Alexandra Sawmills Ltd on Byron Street, off Caldewgate, will shut on Wednesday with the loss of 11 jobs, the News & Star understands.
The sawmill was founded in 1830 by the late Robert Creighton - a former mayor and freeman of the city - in the name of R and JR Creighton Ltd (Alexandra Steam Sawmills).
It is understood that many of the current employees have worked for the firm for more than 20 years.
Those who live and work in Caldewgate say they are disappointed to hear of the closure, the reasons for which are not yet known.
Castle ward Labour councillor, Willie Whalen, said: “Any jobs that are lost is a... read more
Most read news
- 06:44 MP hosting free jobs fair
- 06:44 Drug training offer for area
- 06:44 Bank holiday water pledge
- 06:41 My solution to parking woes
- 06:41 Respecting parents to do their job
- 06:39 Increase in GCSE performance celebrated at Quinton House School
- 06:38 Green light for plans to turn historic Hartlepool site into 38 homes
- 06:38 ‘You will be caught’ – Warning issued to loan sharks in Hartlepool...
- 06:35 Second tragedy for swan family
- 06:34 Fresh talks in firefighters dispute