183-year-old Carlisle sawmill set to shut down
A sawmill in Carlisle is to close after 183 years. Alexander Sawmills The Alexandra Sawmills Ltd on Byron Street, off Caldewgate, will shut on Wednesday with the loss of 11 jobs, the News & Star understands.
The sawmill was founded in 1830 by the late Robert Creighton - a former mayor and freeman of the city - in the name of R and JR Creighton Ltd (Alexandra Steam Sawmills).
It is understood that many of the current employees have worked for the firm for more than 20 years.
Those who live and work in Caldewgate say they are disappointed to hear of the closure, the reasons for which are not yet known.
Castle ward Labour councillor, Willie Whalen, said: “Any jobs that are lost is a... read more
Most read news
- 18:52 Teachers considering fresh strikes
- 18:51 Doctor 'vindicated' by tribunal
- 18:48 Man shot dead in city gun attack
- 18:47 VIDEO - Pilgrims at Holy Island
- 18:47 Besieged Muslims face murder, starvation in Central African...
- 18:45 Doctor 'vindicated' by tribunal
- 18:43 Feelings of loss that last forever
- 18:38 Liverpool fans can get Reds over the line in hunt for Premier...
- 18:33 Victory for Lululemon as US judge tosses out lawsuits
- 18:22 Chelsea would make unlikely champions with questionable merit - but...