183-year-old Carlisle sawmill set to shut down
A sawmill in Carlisle is to close after 183 years. Alexander Sawmills The Alexandra Sawmills Ltd on Byron Street, off Caldewgate, will shut on Wednesday with the loss of 11 jobs, the News & Star understands.
The sawmill was founded in 1830 by the late Robert Creighton - a former mayor and freeman of the city - in the name of R and JR Creighton Ltd (Alexandra Steam Sawmills).
It is understood that many of the current employees have worked for the firm for more than 20 years.
Those who live... read more
- 13:56 Hackers steal data from surveillance company
- 13:49 Manchester United "enter talks with Gregory van der Wiel, he wants...
- 13:38 Done Deal: Manchester United confirm winger transfer
- 13:12 Man Utd Transfer News: Midfielder very close, Ronaldo's huge hint,...
- 12:57 Manchester United close on "imminent' transfer of Bastian...
- 12:04 Real Madrid set to sell Liverpool target
- 11:32 Tottenham remain front runners ahead of Southampton to land...
- 11:26 Deal Done: Manchester United agree move for prolific Copa America star
- 11:03 Manchester United to wrap up winger deal this afternoon
- 10:53 Football rumours: Liverpool to pay buy-out clause for Christian...