Boxing: Referee could be sanctioned after controversial scoring decision is overturned in Satoshi Shimizu's favour
Japan were tonight successful with an appeal against Satoshi Shimizu's controversial Olympic Games bantamweight defeat to Magomed Abdulhamidov at ExCeL.
An International Boxing Association (AIBA) investigation was under way into how the initial result came to be, with action against the referee, Ishanguly Meretnyyazov of Turkmenistan, a possibility.
AIBA said the result had been overturned with Shimizu now declared the winner, and he goes forward to the quarter-finals.
Shimizu, trailing 12-5 going into the final round, hurt Azeri opponent Abdulhamidov with a body shot and proceeded to send him to the floor five times in the round, during which time Abdulhamidov also received a two-point... read more
- 10:47 Nemanja Matic rewarded by Chelsea for superb form with new bumper deal
- 10:46 Puerile comedy about three hapless Americans in Berlin is not worth...
- 10:46 'My baby girl's lips are just too much!': New mum Jacqueline Jossa...
- 10:46 CIA scandal that got lost amid our obsession with Monica Lewinsky:...
- 10:39 Chelsea fans filmed singing racist songs after Capitol One Cup final
- 10:38 21 reasons you should start dating a teacher now
- 10:23 Dozens arrested in cybercrime 'strike week'
- 10:16 Rangers EGM Live: Breaking news and updates from inside today's...
- 10:04 Arsene Wenger not worried by Arsenal’s record at Man Utd ahead of...
- 08:18 Barcelona ready to rattle Liverpool's cage with FREE transfer for...