Boxing: Referee could be sanctioned after controversial scoring decision is overturned in Satoshi Shimizu's favour
Japan were tonight successful with an appeal against Satoshi Shimizu's controversial Olympic Games bantamweight defeat to Magomed Abdulhamidov at ExCeL.
An International Boxing Association (AIBA) investigation was under way into how the initial result came to be, with action against the referee, Ishanguly Meretnyyazov of Turkmenistan, a possibility.
AIBA said the result had been overturned with Shimizu now declared the winner, and he goes forward to the quarter-finals.
Shimizu, trailing 12-5 going into the final round, hurt Azeri opponent Abdulhamidov with a body shot and proceeded to send him to the floor five times in the round, during which time Abdulhamidov also received a two-point... read more
- 01:38 Ellie Goulding holds hands with Dougie Poynter on romantic date...
- 01:38 Lauren Goodger shows off her curves in sheer top and leather...
- 01:38 Leggy Brook! Kelly puts her flat stomach and shapely pins on...
- 01:27 MPs condemn secrecy at ExCel arms fair amid torture trade fears
- 01:27 Shoppers splurge on the high street as prices plunge
- 01:27 James Moore: Cash incentives for whistleblowers make sense
- 01:27 James Moore: The FCA’s own watchdog is barking loudly - and with...
- 01:27 Market Report: Only three companies enjoying gains on bad day for FTSE
- 00:31 Get Hard, film review: Tackling social and racial taboos with...
- 23:59 Paul Scholes column: Gareth Bale would be a perfect fit at...