Boxing: Referee could be sanctioned after controversial scoring decision is overturned in Satoshi Shimizu's favour
Japan were tonight successful with an appeal against Satoshi Shimizu's controversial Olympic Games bantamweight defeat to Magomed Abdulhamidov at ExCeL.
An International Boxing Association (AIBA) investigation was under way into how the initial result came to be, with action against the referee, Ishanguly Meretnyyazov of Turkmenistan, a possibility.
AIBA said the result had been overturned with Shimizu now declared the winner, and he goes forward to the quarter-finals.
Shimizu, trailing 12-5 going into the final round, hurt Azeri opponent Abdulhamidov with a body shot and proceeded to send him to the floor five times in the round, during which time Abdulhamidov also received a two-point... read more
Most read news
- 19:02 Siem de Jong reveals he has a 'couple of weeks' left on crutches as...
- 19:00 CCTV: Police release image after woman sexually assaulted by man...
- 18:56 Germany’s malaise shows eurozone can’t cut its way to prosperity
- 18:53 Scotland exempt from Tories’ Human Rights Act axe
- 18:45 Cameron’s tax cuts: short-term cheers at expense of longer-term...
- 18:45 ARM creates operating system for 'internet of things'
- 18:40 Dog owners told to watch out for killer disease
- 18:31 Bayern Munich refund hardcore fans who rented out Moscow apartment...
- 18:19 Former Tory donor raises Ukip donation to £1m over Hague comments
- 17:33 Ex-Manchester United star Gerard Pique: Roy Keane scares the S***...