Boxing: Referee could be sanctioned after controversial scoring decision is overturned in Satoshi Shimizu's favour
Japan were tonight successful with an appeal against Satoshi Shimizu's controversial Olympic Games bantamweight defeat to Magomed Abdulhamidov at ExCeL.
An International Boxing Association (AIBA) investigation was under way into how the initial result came to be, with action against the referee, Ishanguly Meretnyyazov of Turkmenistan, a possibility.
AIBA said the result had been overturned with Shimizu now declared the winner, and he goes forward to the quarter-finals.
Shimizu, trailing 12-5 going into the final round, hurt Azeri opponent Abdulhamidov with a body shot and proceeded to send him to the floor five times in the round, during which time Abdulhamidov also received a two-point... read more
Most read news
- 10:13 Easter bonnet parade fun for pupils
- 10:09 Derbyshire police start recruitment drive to boost number of bobbies
- 10:09 Village WW1 heroes proudly recorded
- 10:08 Woman due in court accused of shoplifting
- 10:06 Woman hospitalised following rescue from fire in Ambergate
- 10:05 Mother’s donation is a thank you to baby unit
- 09:57 Dad of 17 approached to star on Celebrity Big Brother just months...
- 09:46 Hospital porter's heroics save life of collapsed grandad at the...
- 09:46 Stoke pervert Anthony Walker used secret cameras to film up...
- 09:43 Video: Portuguese navy’s drone launch ends in embarrassing fail