Boxing: Referee could be sanctioned after controversial scoring decision is overturned in Satoshi Shimizu's favour
Japan were tonight successful with an appeal against Satoshi Shimizu's controversial Olympic Games bantamweight defeat to Magomed Abdulhamidov at ExCeL.
An International Boxing Association (AIBA) investigation was under way into how the initial result came to be, with action against the referee, Ishanguly Meretnyyazov of Turkmenistan, a possibility.
AIBA said the result had been overturned with Shimizu now declared the winner, and he goes forward to the quarter-finals.
Shimizu, trailing 12-5 going into the final round, hurt Azeri opponent Abdulhamidov with a body shot and proceeded to send him to the floor five times in the round, during which time Abdulhamidov also received a two-point... read more
Most read news
- 20:57 Scottish readers set sights on Star's future
- 20:38 British business: We need to stay in the EU or risk losing up to...
- 20:06 One rescued following gas blast
- 19:50 EVA LONGORIA SUFFERS WARDROBE MALFUNCTION IN CANNES
- 19:32 Swansea 0 Fulham 3 match report: Mark Schwarzer future in doubt...
- 19:10 He's at it again! Not even in the match day squad, injured Terry...
- 18:38 Eva Longoria suffers massively embarrassing wardrobe malfunction as...
- 18:18 Chelsea 2 Everton 1: Torres grabs Blues third spot in Moyes and...
- 17:37 Bale controversy as Spurs star is booked for dive when it was a...
- 16:40 EVA LONGORIA SUFFERS WARDROBE MALFUNCTION IN CANNES