Boxing: Referee could be sanctioned after controversial scoring decision is overturned in Satoshi Shimizu's favour
Japan were tonight successful with an appeal against Satoshi Shimizu's controversial Olympic Games bantamweight defeat to Magomed Abdulhamidov at ExCeL.
An International Boxing Association (AIBA) investigation was under way into how the initial result came to be, with action against the referee, Ishanguly Meretnyyazov of Turkmenistan, a possibility.
AIBA said the result had been overturned with Shimizu now declared the winner, and he goes forward to the quarter-finals.
Shimizu, trailing 12-5 going into the final round, hurt Azeri opponent Abdulhamidov with a body shot and proceeded to send him to the floor five times in the round, during which time Abdulhamidov also received a two-point... read more
Most read news
- 06:23 Sunderland’s first free school is back on track
- 06:22 FARRRS milestone is reached
- 06:21 United-mad Kyras is our mascot competition champ!
- 06:20 Behind the scenes at Daily Brunch – pulled pork, brand synergy and...
- 06:20 The new SSE orangutan advert
- 06:18 Wine: northern Rhône syrahs don’t have to break the bank
- 06:18 ‘It’s them or me’: The woman who chose her adopted children over...
- 06:18 Q&A: Anne Rice
- 06:18 Breakfast of champions: Lucian Freud’s custard tarts
- 06:18 Cerys Matthews: having trouble sleeping? There is only one answer