Boxing: Referee could be sanctioned after controversial scoring decision is overturned in Satoshi Shimizu's favour
Japan were tonight successful with an appeal against Satoshi Shimizu's controversial Olympic Games bantamweight defeat to Magomed Abdulhamidov at ExCeL.
An International Boxing Association (AIBA) investigation was under way into how the initial result came to be, with action against the referee, Ishanguly Meretnyyazov of Turkmenistan, a possibility.
AIBA said the result had been overturned with Shimizu now declared the winner, and he goes forward to the quarter-finals.
Shimizu, trailing 12-5 going into the final round, hurt Azeri opponent Abdulhamidov with a body shot and proceeded to send him to the floor five times in the round, during which time Abdulhamidov also received a two-point... read more
Most read news
- 02:07 Who will be voted out of The X Factor on ITV tonight?
- 02:06 GPS delay lets sex offenders off the hook
- 02:00 Greenpeace says John West tuna fish deal with WWF is just green spin
- 01:57 Is that you, Kylie Minogue? Singer sports Day Of The Dead makeup to...
- 01:57 Scary Sophie! Brooke Vincent shows off toned stomach in gothic...
- 01:57 Fight For This, Loves! Cheryl Fernandez-Versini shows her X Factor...
- 01:55 Jake Gyllenhaal: News Has Its Priorities Wrong
- 01:54 Rangers vs Celtic could fill the Maracana, claims Ibrox boss Ally...
- 01:54 Everton striker Arouna Kone ruled out until January despite...
- 01:42 Amazon rainforest losing ability to regulate climate, scientist warns