Boxing: Referee could be sanctioned after controversial scoring decision is overturned in Satoshi Shimizu's favour
Japan were tonight successful with an appeal against Satoshi Shimizu's controversial Olympic Games bantamweight defeat to Magomed Abdulhamidov at ExCeL.
An International Boxing Association (AIBA) investigation was under way into how the initial result came to be, with action against the referee, Ishanguly Meretnyyazov of Turkmenistan, a possibility.
AIBA said the result had been overturned with Shimizu now declared the winner, and he goes forward to the quarter-finals.
Shimizu, trailing 12-5 going into the final round, hurt Azeri opponent Abdulhamidov with a body shot and proceeded to send him to the floor five times in the round, during which time Abdulhamidov also received a two-point... read more
Most read news
- 07:02 Ed Balls: Labour would cap rise in child benefit
- 06:57 Owls fans unite for poorly Olivia
- 06:57 Sheffield pays tribute to Battle of Britain heroes 74 years on
- 06:51 Bone research hopes at University of Nottingham
- 06:51 Newstead Village World War One heroes are honoured
- 06:51 Awards sport new category
- 06:51 In tune with community
- 06:51 Musical tribute to a wartime hero
- 06:10 Bank of Queensland to pay $17m to Storm Financial customers
- 06:10 Royal Mint launches online dealing account … in gold