Boxing: Referee could be sanctioned after controversial scoring decision is overturned in Satoshi Shimizu's favour
Japan were tonight successful with an appeal against Satoshi Shimizu's controversial Olympic Games bantamweight defeat to Magomed Abdulhamidov at ExCeL.
An International Boxing Association (AIBA) investigation was under way into how the initial result came to be, with action against the referee, Ishanguly Meretnyyazov of Turkmenistan, a possibility.
AIBA said the result had been overturned with Shimizu now declared the winner, and he goes forward to the quarter-finals.
Shimizu, trailing 12-5 going into the final round, hurt Azeri opponent Abdulhamidov with a body shot and proceeded to send him to the floor five times in the round, during which time Abdulhamidov also received a two-point... read more
Most read news
- 15:38 Former boss Phil predicts a good year for the Reds
- 15:38 Ramsay's wife tells of family rift
- 15:37 Carlo Ancelotti shoots down comparisons with Chelsea boss Jose...
- 15:36 Never Forget! Take That trio to perform on Strictly Come Dancing final
- 15:30 SMALL CAP SHARE IDEAS: Penny drops for mobile technology firm...
- 15:23 Paul Farrelly: helping pub landlords to stay open, and battling...
- 15:21 Manchester United ride their luck but momentum continues to build...
- 14:47 Man United defender Chris Smalling MOCKS Arsenal after Emirates clash
- 13:41 Borussia Dortmund star puts Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal on RED...
- 13:32 TRANSFER NEWS: Remy Liverpool move, Chelsea want £28m 'new...