Boxing: Referee could be sanctioned after controversial scoring decision is overturned in Satoshi Shimizu's favour
Japan were tonight successful with an appeal against Satoshi Shimizu's controversial Olympic Games bantamweight defeat to Magomed Abdulhamidov at ExCeL.
An International Boxing Association (AIBA) investigation was under way into how the initial result came to be, with action against the referee, Ishanguly Meretnyyazov of Turkmenistan, a possibility.
AIBA said the result had been overturned with Shimizu now declared the winner, and he goes forward to the quarter-finals.
Shimizu, trailing 12-5 going into the final round, hurt Azeri opponent Abdulhamidov with a body shot and proceeded to send him to the floor five times in the round, during which time Abdulhamidov also received a two-point... read more
Most read news
- 02:15 Cath Kidston sells stake to equity firm
- 02:15 Premier Foods brands to get new lease of life
- 01:53 Racism Claim Halts Manchester City Friendly
- 01:51 Slump in iPad sales takes the shine off Apple's revenue results
- 01:50 How original sin led to a western obsession with self-help
- 01:49 UK Government Still Sending Arms To Russia
- 01:48 Labour MP Frank Dobson to step down after the next election
- 22:45 Manchester United not afraid to spend £70m on one player, reveals...
- 22:45 Manchester United transfer news: United made aware Angel di Maria...
- 21:28 Six things you need to know about promising Arsenal youngster Chris...