Boxing: Referee could be sanctioned after controversial scoring decision is overturned in Satoshi Shimizu's favour
Japan were tonight successful with an appeal against Satoshi Shimizu's controversial Olympic Games bantamweight defeat to Magomed Abdulhamidov at ExCeL.
An International Boxing Association (AIBA) investigation was under way into how the initial result came to be, with action against the referee, Ishanguly Meretnyyazov of Turkmenistan, a possibility.
AIBA said the result had been overturned with Shimizu now declared the winner, and he goes forward to the quarter-finals.
Shimizu, trailing 12-5 going into the final round, hurt Azeri opponent Abdulhamidov with a body shot and proceeded to send him to the floor five times in the round, during which time Abdulhamidov also received a two-point... read more
Most read news
- 03:45 Women Run Over By Train On Rail Bridge
- 03:40 The man who plays French horn with his toes
- 03:37 Pfizer leaves investors guessing on intentions for Astra
- 03:33 Colombia's Santos says FARC attacks could end peace process
- 03:31 University goes global with plan to open campus in South Korea
- 03:27 Murray Park, symbol of mistrust
- 03:27 Miller backs Watt for quitting Celtic
- 03:27 The sky's the limit for Muir with both youth and Young on her side...
- 03:21 President's cousin killed by suicide bomber at Eid party
- 03:21 Civilians die in new Ukraine fighting