Boxing: Referee could be sanctioned after controversial scoring decision is overturned in Satoshi Shimizu's favour
Japan were tonight successful with an appeal against Satoshi Shimizu's controversial Olympic Games bantamweight defeat to Magomed Abdulhamidov at ExCeL.
An International Boxing Association (AIBA) investigation was under way into how the initial result came to be, with action against the referee, Ishanguly Meretnyyazov of Turkmenistan, a possibility.
AIBA said the result had been overturned with Shimizu now declared the winner, and he goes forward to the quarter-finals.
Shimizu, trailing 12-5 going into the final round, hurt Azeri opponent Abdulhamidov with a body shot and proceeded to send him to the floor five times in the round, during which time Abdulhamidov also received a two-point... read more
Most read news
- 05:05 Naval Gazing: Future Warships Put To The Test
- 04:48 Jeff Salway: Choose charity money wisely
- 04:39 Hundreds Hurt In Violent Pakistan Clashes
- 04:27 'Why has it taken so long to reopen Sunshine House?': Mum of boy...
- 04:22 Marine cuisine
- 04:22 Kingdom of the swingers
- 04:17 Fukushima fallout: Resentment grows in nearby Japanese city
- 03:34 London Scottish 19 Glasgow 38: Still plenty for Warriors to work on
- 03:34 India leave England in a spin
- 00:57 Real Madrid enquire about Javier Hernandez loan move in case they...