Boxing: Referee could be sanctioned after controversial scoring decision is overturned in Satoshi Shimizu's favour
Japan were tonight successful with an appeal against Satoshi Shimizu's controversial Olympic Games bantamweight defeat to Magomed Abdulhamidov at ExCeL.
An International Boxing Association (AIBA) investigation was under way into how the initial result came to be, with action against the referee, Ishanguly Meretnyyazov of Turkmenistan, a possibility.
AIBA said the result had been overturned with Shimizu now declared the winner, and he goes forward to the quarter-finals.
Shimizu, trailing 12-5 going into the final round, hurt Azeri opponent Abdulhamidov with a body shot and proceeded to send him to the floor five times in the round, during which time Abdulhamidov also received a two-point... read more
Most read news
- 00:29 'I want girls to love themselves': Kate Hudson on body image and...
- 00:25 Sir David warns of 'animal erosion'
- 00:21 Smoking costs England £1bn per year in care alone
- 00:21 Elderly spend weeks too long in hospitals due to lack of housing,...
- 00:21 Tens of thousands of patients given drugs they're known to be...
- 00:19 Alastair Cook stands firm after England's crushing loss
- 00:19 Roy Hodgson seeks the elusive elixir as he tries to restore England...
- 00:19 Arsenal's new signing Danny Welbeck is going to be a top Gunner
- 00:19 It's a dream to play in the Premier League: Falcao promises glory...
- 00:18 Penicuik House to become major Scottish attraction