Boxing: Referee could be sanctioned after controversial scoring decision is overturned in Satoshi Shimizu's favour
Japan were tonight successful with an appeal against Satoshi Shimizu's controversial Olympic Games bantamweight defeat to Magomed Abdulhamidov at ExCeL.
An International Boxing Association (AIBA) investigation was under way into how the initial result came to be, with action against the referee, Ishanguly Meretnyyazov of Turkmenistan, a possibility.
AIBA said the result had been overturned with Shimizu now declared the winner, and he goes forward to the quarter-finals.
Shimizu, trailing 12-5 going into the final round, hurt Azeri opponent Abdulhamidov with a body shot and proceeded to send him to the floor five times in the round, during which time Abdulhamidov also received a two-point... read more
Most read news
- 04:59 Scarborough ‘can’t afford’ to defend Spa from waves and landslides
- 04:58 Obama Hails West's 'Unified' Stance On Crimea
- 04:58 Clinton's 'Unfinished Business' On Women's Day
- 04:54 Online clothes retailers Boohoo cries out to be listed
- 04:54 Investors in Alliance Trust get a confidence boost
- 04:54 Ask the Boss: The future is bright for Leo McKee of BrightHouse
- 04:33 Shep Gordon: Confessions of a superstar manager
- 04:27 International Women's Day marked with Google Doodle
- 04:26 Strawberries boom after mild winter
- 04:21 Corrie is fixing cobbles wobble