Brothers cleared over riots protest
Two brothers accused of pulling a mounted policeman off his horse during student riots have been cleared of violent disorder.
Christopher Hilliard, 23, and his brother Andrew, 18, were charged after the protest on December 9 2010, which was held as Parliament voted to increase tuition fees.
An earlier trial at the Old Bailey heard how riders and horses were pelted with objects and had banners thrust in their faces during the disturbances in London's Parliament Square.
The Hilliards, of Cranford Road in Wilmslow, Cheshire, were retried after jurors in their first trial failed to reach verdicts.
But both were acquitted at Kingston-upon-Thames Crown Court in Surrey, a court official said.... read more
Most read news
- 13:01 Crystal Palace 2013/14 Premier League fixture list
- 13:01 The Apprentice makeover
- 13:01 Where are all the female DJs?
- 13:00 St Mirren: it's ridiculous Celtic can postpone our match to make money
- 13:00 Di Canio bids to tempt Vydra to Sunderland as Black Cats make loan...
- 13:00 What happened when Sportsmail took on five-time Wimbledon champion...
- 12:56 UNHCR 2012 refugee statistics: full data
- 12:56 An important lesson for Polish migrants in the Before You Go film
- 12:54 Barack Obama to renew calls to reduce US-Russia nuclear weapons
- 12:04 United to move for Alcantara if Cesc bid fails... and thanks to...