Candi Staton's marriage pain inspired disco track
Disco diva Candi Staton's dance anthem Young Hearts Run Free was inspired by the agony she endured during a messy divorce.
The soul singer is best known for the 1976 hit but reveals the upbeat track came to fruition during one of the darkest periods of her life.
She tells TV show BBC Breakfast, "I was going through one of the most horrible divorces at the time. I was going through an abusive area of my life. The writer - who is no longer with us, his name is David Crawford - we had lunch and would talk on the phone a lot. He would say, 'What's going on in your life?' I would tell him, 'David, I'm so disgusted. David, I don't know how I'm going to get out of this, I just don't know... read more
Most read news
- 05:56 Dad caught with cannabis on his birthday
- 05:52 Man dies following fall at Premier Foods site
- 05:48 It’s a tweet life for Ulley park ranger
- 05:29 The search is on to find poetry champ
- 05:26 Heads 'tired of constant change'
- 05:26 Archbishop to bless married couples
- 05:26 Child dies in Egyptian hotel pool
- 05:20 Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney targeted by Arsenal
- 05:16 Child dies in Egyptian hotel pool
- 05:16 Heads 'tired of constant change'