Catholic church suspends 21 priests suspected of child abuse
The Philadelphia archdiocese has suspended 21 Roman Catholic priests who were named as suspected child abusers in a scathing grand jury report last month.
Cardinal Justin Rigali, the archbishop of Philadelphia, said the priests had been removed from ministry while their cases were reviewed. The names of the priests were not being released, a spokesman for the archdiocese said.
"These have been difficult weeks since the release of the grand jury report," Rigali said, "difficult most of all for victims of sexual abuse but also for all Catholics and for everyone in our community."
The two-year grand jury investigation into paedophilia in the archdiocese of Philadelphia... read more
Most read news
- 14:03 How do you prepare for a lifetime of renting?
- 14:02 Price planning fifth autobiography
- 14:00 Price planning fifth autobiography
- 13:50 Southampton 2013/14 Premier League fixture list
- 13:42 Hermes to sue LVMH over equity swaps to build stake
- 13:00 St Mirren: it's ridiculous Celtic can postpone our match to make money
- 13:00 Di Canio bids to tempt Vydra to Sunderland as Black Cats make loan...
- 12:04 United to move for Alcantara if Cesc bid fails... and thanks to...
- 12:03 Burst water main causing disruption in Hebden Bridge
- 11:08 Barca ramp up interest in Mata as Spanish giants plot Â£30m move for...