Comedy legend Billy Connolly inspires British tourists to follow in footsteps
BILLY CONNOLLY has sparked a tourism boom on America's iconic Route 66.
The Big Yin's TV documentary on the iconic US highway has inspired thousands of Brits to follow in his motorcycle tracks.
Travel specialists say bookings have shot up by 30 per cent since Billy's four-part series was shown on ITV1 earlier this year.
Alistair Bell, of travel firm Complete North America - who specialise in Route 66 fly-drive holidays - said: “We have about a 1000 bookings a year and they are up by around a third since Billy's show.
“It has sparked people's interest. There has always been something special about the Route and the more people know about it, the more they want to see it.”
Mike... read more
Most read news
- 15:04 When is Wimbledon 2013? All you need to know about this summer's...
- 14:42 Accentuating positive with make-up job
- 14:41 News Corp to split in two on 28 June
- 14:41 JEFF HANNEMAN REMEMBERED AT HOLLYWOOD MEMORIAL
- 14:41 Slam Dunc for Di Canio as Sunderland boss snaps up non-League...
- 14:39 Co-operative Bank stops new corporate loans
- 14:22 Huge earthquake hits east of Russia with tremors felt as far away...
- 14:22 Global majority faces water shortages 'within two generations'
- 14:15 Italian firms tap debt market as bank lending dries up
- 11:57 Moyes to begin United revolution as Phelan and coach Steele face...