Comedy review: Shappi Khorsandi, Pleasance Courtyard
DARK times, they say, have the power to bring out the poets. Presumably, that applies to comedians as well.
Take, for example, Shappi Khorsandi. Forced to flee her homeland, divorced, and cheated on by a rock star boyfriend, you’d think the Iranian-born stand-up wouldn’t have much to laugh about.
Think again. Humour is often born out of despair, and this stalwart of the Fringe turns her personal issues into brilliantly written jokes in new show Dirty Looks And Hopscotch.
Anyone familiar with the 39-year-old from her appearances on television – she’s been on Michael McIntyre’s Comedy Roadshow, 8 Out Of 10 Cats, Live At The Apollo, etc – might have the wrong impression about... read more
Most read news
- 01:29 Good lord! I'm beating MS: How the Earl of Durham is fighting...
- 01:29 The latest lifeline for patients paralysed by strokes... Botox:...
- 01:29 Get angry - get skinny: Outrage will help you slim down and lose...
- 01:29 A double eSTRESSo: Warning - your daily coffee is a powerful drug...
- 01:29 ASK DR ELLIE: Am I too old to try for my second baby at 46?
- 01:29 Health Notes: So that's why Jessie J is a groovy chick... pea!
- 01:03 Maserati Ghibli comes of age
- 01:00 EastEnders spoiler! David Wicks takes to the witness stand as...
- 00:54 Police must speed up rape reports, says Home Office
- 00:53 Cyber attackers target Ukraine's government departments