Controversial Shimizu defeat overturned leaving referee facing potential action
Japan have won an appeal against Satoshi Shimizu's controversial Olympic Games bantamweight defeat to Magomed Abdulhamidov at ExCeL.
An International Boxing Association (AIBA) investigation was under way into how the initial result came to be, with action against the referee, Ishanguly Meretnyyazov of Turkmenistan, a possibility.
AIBA said the result had been overturned with Shimizu now declared the winner, and he goes forward to the quarter-finals.
Shimizu, trailing 12-5 going into the final round, hurt Azeri opponent Abdulhamidov with a body shot and proceeded to send him to the floor... read more
- 04:44 South Carolina flooding 'once in 1,000 year event'
- 04:38 2,650 West Midlands jobs threatened by feed-in tariff cuts,...
- 04:38 1,000 Royal Mail jobs deliver boost to unemployment figures
- 04:37 Xbox One news: Black Ops 3 new-gen news drop, Fallout 4’s tough...
- 04:35 Northern Territory man charged with murdering his sister in...
- 04:32 Afghan conflict: MSF 'disgust' at government hospital claims
- 04:13 David Pocock a class apart as Australia wreck England's World Cup...
- 04:08 Couple arrested in cannabis raid at house in Leeds
- 03:57 Prince Harry to attend sick children awards ceremony
- 03:54 Oregon shooter's paranoid mum 'kept firearm STOCKPILE incase US...