Controversial Shimizu defeat overturned leaving referee facing potential action
Japan have won an appeal against Satoshi Shimizu's controversial Olympic Games bantamweight defeat to Magomed Abdulhamidov at ExCeL.
An International Boxing Association (AIBA) investigation was under way into how the initial result came to be, with action against the referee, Ishanguly Meretnyyazov of Turkmenistan, a possibility.
AIBA said the result had been overturned with Shimizu now declared the winner, and he goes forward to the quarter-finals.
Shimizu, trailing 12-5 going into the final round, hurt Azeri opponent Abdulhamidov with a body shot and proceeded to send him to the floor five times in the round, during which time Abdulhamidov also received a two-point penalty.
- 18:31 Nokia's network arm to buy Eden Rock Communications
- 18:17 Chemical leak alert at Rolls-Royce in Derby
- 17:58 Arsenal plot SHOCK £5m move for Leicester's Ghana winger Jeffrey...
- 16:18 Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs suffer £60m DOUBLE blow in...
- 16:16 Arsenal considering £5m swoop for Leicester's Player of the Year
- 15:39 Manchester United "in pole position to sign Marco Reus after Real...
- 15:11 Manchester United opinion: Van Gaal needs a new Van Nistelrooy to...
- 15:00 Arsenal "agree transfer deals for Arturo Vidal, Morgan Schneiderlin...
- 14:04 PSG working intensively on Di Maria deal, Man Utd VERY CLOSE to...
- 14:00 Arsene Wenger REVEALS Arsenal's transfer plans to beat Chelsea and...