Controversial Shimizu defeat overturned leaving referee facing potential action
Japan have won an appeal against Satoshi Shimizu's controversial Olympic Games bantamweight defeat to Magomed Abdulhamidov at ExCeL.
An International Boxing Association (AIBA) investigation was under way into how the initial result came to be, with action against the referee, Ishanguly Meretnyyazov of Turkmenistan, a possibility.
AIBA said the result had been overturned with Shimizu now declared the winner, and he goes forward to the quarter-finals.
Shimizu, trailing 12-5 going into the final round, hurt Azeri opponent Abdulhamidov with a body shot and proceeded to send him to the floor five times in the round, during which time Abdulhamidov also received a two-point penalty.
Most read news
- 09:23 Jamie Carragher DEFENDS Liverpool star Mario Balotelli
- 09:20 Hartlepool man pulled Taser on doormen who asked him to leave pub...
- 08:54 Man dies and another seriously injured after crash near Y Felinheli
- 08:53 Graeme Souness made to look seriously stupid after confidently...
- 08:52 New "Dorothy' device lets you phone a friend by just clicking your...
- 08:52 Diego Costa doubtful for Chelsea's trip to Manchester United after...
- 08:51 Spurs on right track - Pochettino
- 08:39 UPDATE 2-Unilever sales disappoint as emerging markets dampen growth
- 08:38 Arsenal News: Chelsea and Utd target wants Gunners move, Welbeck...
- 08:33 REVEALED: How Brendan Rodgers will punish Liverpool bad boy Mario...