Controversial Shimizu defeat overturned leaving referee facing potential action
Japan have won an appeal against Satoshi Shimizu's controversial Olympic Games bantamweight defeat to Magomed Abdulhamidov at ExCeL.
An International Boxing Association (AIBA) investigation was under way into how the initial result came to be, with action against the referee, Ishanguly Meretnyyazov of Turkmenistan, a possibility.
AIBA said the result had been overturned with Shimizu now declared the winner, and he goes forward to the quarter-finals.
Shimizu, trailing 12-5 going into the final... read more
- 08:48 IMF tells Greece: no debt relief before reforms
- 08:43 Tiger Woods is 'dating' ex-wife of friend and fellow professional...
- 08:18 Tottenham Hotspur to "battle with Inter Milan to complete transfer...
- 08:03 Stoke City transfer rumours: Chelsea raise Asmir Begovic bid by £2m
- 07:47 Greene King's focus on food helps brewer notch up £1billion of...
- 07:44 Washing machine sparks fire in former Sunderland petrol station
- 07:43 Police find body in pub landlord search
- 07:39 Leicester City still hoping Esteban Cambiasso will stay
- 07:26 Grimsby Town boss Paul Hurst wants one more striker
- 07:22 Magic Mike XXL – strippers' verdict: 'A public liability claim...