Convoys veterans to get Russian medal
A CAMPAIGNING Arctic Convoys hero could get fresh recognition for his wartime bravery - on two fronts.
Great-grandfather Bob Robertson, 90, has been informed that Russia wants to give him and other veterans a new medal of honour.
It is the second such medal, after a first awarded soon after the war by the then-Communist state, for sacrifices made.
And he has also been heartened by PM David Cameron yesterday announcing a medals system review.
Mr Robertson, of Mortimer Road, South Shields, is hopeful it may lead to Britain officially recognising their bravery.
He has long campaigned for veterans to be honoured with a medal by their own country – something denied by successive... read more
Most read news
- 18:37 FBI digs for bodies at home of late gangster James Burke - the man...
- 18:37 Iraq election candidate killed in suicide bomb attack
- 18:37 Teenagers in Jordan support ‘honour killings,’ research finds
- 18:37 Amanda Knox’s ex-lover, Raffaele Sollecito, loses right to stay in...
- 18:37 Man tried to get boy into his car
- 18:35 Nature Studies: Mayflies offer gripping scenes of mass birth, mass...
- 18:35 Pupils are treated to a day out
- 18:33 MATTHEW MORRISON TEACHES MUSIC SEMINAR AT LONDON SCHOOL
- 18:33 MAN OF STEEL SOARS TO THE TOP OF THE NATION'S BOX OFFICE
- 17:42 New images of Canning Town sex attacker released