Driver was on mobile phone at time of fatal crash
A racing driver knocked down and killed a cyclist as he towed his racing car to have specialist testing, a court has heard.
Frank Wrathall, 26, denies causing the death of Paul Fingleton by dangerous driving at Preston Crown Court.
Opening the trial, Francis McEntee, prosecuting, said Wrathall, a former Lancaster Royal Grammar School pupil, of Strickens Lane, Barnacre was talking to his girlfriend on his mobile phone at the time of the fatal collision at Broughton roundabout on May 14 last year.
The Citroen van he was driving did not have any Bluetooth and there was no facility for hands-free calling.
At the time of the collision, Mr Fingleton, 47, from Fulwood, was cycling home from... read more
Most read news
- 06:05 Florists is latest business to close as Hebburn improvements ‘come...
- 06:05 Health boss disputes death figures
- 06:00 Coventry City loan goalkeeper Jamie Jones looking to make amends...
- 06:00 Scunthorpe United can match League One's best says Niall Canavan...
- 05:57 New £40m Birmingham Conservatoire plans set for approval
- 05:52 Derbyshire schools closed on Friday, January 30
- 05:52 Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans gets tax demand for £4.7 billion
- 05:50 Islamic State's Egyptian Wing Claims Attacks
- 05:20 Lincoln Sunday League football round-up
- 02:15 Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd discover stunning twist in...