Driver was on mobile phone at time of fatal crash
A racing driver knocked down and killed a cyclist as he towed his racing car to have specialist testing, a court has heard.
Frank Wrathall, 26, denies causing the death of Paul Fingleton by dangerous driving at Preston Crown Court.
Opening the trial, Francis McEntee, prosecuting, said Wrathall, a former Lancaster Royal Grammar School pupil, of Strickens Lane, Barnacre was talking to his girlfriend on his mobile phone at the time of the fatal collision at Broughton roundabout on May 14 last year.
The Citroen van he was driving did not have any Bluetooth and there was no facility for hands-free calling.
At the time of the collision, Mr Fingleton, 47, from Fulwood, was cycling home from... read more
Most read news
- 15:52 Sir Alex Ferguson shocks drinkers as he turns up for pub quiz night...
- 15:49 Arsenal 4 Everton 1: Mikel Arteta admits penalty changed the game...
- 15:49 West Brom 0 Manchester United 3: Wayne Rooney stresses performance...
- 15:40 Cut and thrust council debate
- 15:38 'Nelson Mandela inspired my clothing collection': South African...
- 15:35 Ireland vs Italy LIVE: Six Nations action from the Aviva Stadium as...
- 15:34 Northampton Saints 26 Saracens 7 match report: George Pisi sends...
- 15:34 West Brom 0 Manchester United 3 match report: England trio shine...
- 15:28 Top award for Wolds Cottage
- 15:25 Thief stole saw from locked van