Early guilty plea trial starts at court
Defendants in cases at Crown Court will not receive the maximum discount for pleading guilty unless they do so at the earliest opportunity under a new scheme introduced this month. The Early Guilty Plea Scheme (EGPS), which was trialled in Liverpool in 2009, has now been introduced at Northampton Crown Court.
It is intended to short-circuit criminal prosecutions with a defendant receiving a third off any potential custodial sentence, if they indicate a guilty plea as early as possible.
This will limit the need for detailed case preparation by police and the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).
Prosecutors will allocate which cases might be suitable for EGPS by looking at the strength of... read more
Most read news
- 12:31 Newcastle vs Sunderland Premier League LIVE: Follow all the...
- 12:28 Radamel Falcao: Man United striker a 'predator' - Evans
- 12:28 Manchester United transfer news: Gareth Bale gives Old Trafford...
- 12:22 Liverpool v Arsenal: I was manager of the year - but without Suarez...
- 12:13 Hull City paper talk: Januzaj tipped for Tigers as competition...
- 12:12 Former village pub to be turned into a new home
- 12:04 Warnock fumes over disallowed goal
- 11:39 Premier League team of the day: Hat-trick hero Charlie Austin leads...
- 11:38 Radamel Falcao: Man United striker tipped to go on scoring streak...
- 11:17 Pub hosts carol service