Early guilty plea trial starts at court
Defendants in cases at Crown Court will not receive the maximum discount for pleading guilty unless they do so at the earliest opportunity under a new scheme introduced this month. The Early Guilty Plea Scheme (EGPS), which was trialled in Liverpool in 2009, has now been introduced at Northampton Crown Court.
It is intended to short-circuit criminal prosecutions with a defendant receiving a third off any potential custodial sentence, if they indicate a guilty plea as early as possible.
This will limit the need for detailed case preparation by police and the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).... read more
- 12:35 750,000 people on Tinder have pubic lice, scientist warns
- 12:32 Manchester United confirm squad number for 21-year-old defender
- 12:31 Louis van Gaal reveals why Marouane Fellaini is not in Manchester...
- 12:26 Saudi Arabia sends fighter jets and soldiers to Turkey ahead of...
- 12:23 Black Country Tesco extension threatened by mine risk
- 12:23 Dodworth Road closed due to 'major incident'
- 12:22 Barcelona star: This is why Arsenal cannot win titles anymore
- 12:22 Wool & Co shop dream turns to dust in Dundee for Laura-Jayne Nevin
- 12:20 US defence secretary urges Britain to keep Trident nuclear defence...
- 12:20 CCTV shows friends being 'mown down like skittles' outside...