Early guilty plea trial starts at court
Defendants in cases at Crown Court will not receive the maximum discount for pleading guilty unless they do so at the earliest opportunity under a new scheme introduced this month. The Early Guilty Plea Scheme (EGPS), which was trialled in Liverpool in 2009, has now been introduced at Northampton Crown Court.
It is intended to short-circuit criminal prosecutions with a defendant receiving a third off any potential custodial sentence, if they indicate a guilty plea as early as possible.
This will limit the need for detailed case preparation by police and the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).
Prosecutors will allocate which cases might be suitable for EGPS by looking at the strength of... read more
Most read news
- 09:36 Borussia Dortmund will show Arsenal NO MERCY insists Jurgen Klopp
- 09:36 Man accused of watching gay porn in car before 'launching sex...
- 09:36 Football in India: readers' photos and stories
- 09:33 Facebook gets new, privacy-focused Terms of Service
- 09:33 Arsenal have MISSED crocked star Mesut Ozil - Jurgen Klopp
- 09:27 Woman fights for her life after stabbing in Washington
- 09:21 Meet the English kids who play down south, have just beaten West...
- 09:10 Grimsby man banned from Barge pub for year
- 08:43 If you don’t have any cash to pay window cleaner you can transfer...
- 08:32 Police appeal after fatal collision