Early guilty plea trial starts at court
Defendants in cases at Crown Court will not receive the maximum discount for pleading guilty unless they do so at the earliest opportunity under a new scheme introduced this month. The Early Guilty Plea Scheme (EGPS), which was trialled in Liverpool in 2009, has now been introduced at Northampton Crown Court.
It is intended to short-circuit criminal prosecutions with a defendant receiving a third off any potential custodial sentence, if they indicate a guilty plea as early as possible.
This will limit the need for detailed case preparation by police and the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).
Prosecutors will allocate which cases might be suitable for EGPS by looking at the strength of... read more
Most read news
- 09:49 Bike theft in Boldon Colliery
- 09:49 ‘Make danger junction safe’
- 09:45 More snow forecast for the region
- 09:43 Ernie Gee, all-round sporstman
- 09:43 Diabetic crash driver jailed
- 09:42 South Africa's 'Prime Evil' apartheid killer freed on parole
- 09:40 Halifax man desperately seeks work
- 09:40 A weekend of... potatoes!
- 09:35 MERCURY OPINION: It is unfair to criticise these snow closures
- 09:34 Transfer News LIVE: Manchester United, Real Madrid, Chelsea and...