Early guilty plea trial starts at court
Defendants in cases at Crown Court will not receive the maximum discount for pleading guilty unless they do so at the earliest opportunity under a new scheme introduced this month. The Early Guilty Plea Scheme (EGPS), which was trialled in Liverpool in 2009, has now been introduced at Northampton Crown Court.
It is intended to short-circuit criminal prosecutions with a defendant receiving a third off any potential custodial sentence, if they indicate a guilty plea as early as possible.
This will limit the need for detailed case preparation by police and the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).
Prosecutors will allocate which cases might be suitable for EGPS by looking at the strength of... read more
Most read news
- 08:39 UPDATE 2-Unilever sales disappoint as emerging markets dampen growth
- 08:38 Arsenal News: Chelsea and Utd target wants Gunners move, Welbeck...
- 08:37 Leyland hit five in romp
- 08:37 Nervous start but Garstang triumph
- 08:34 Renee Zellweger says plastic surgery rumours are "silly'
- 08:33 An Arsenal fan made this superbly creepy Arsene Wenger cake for...
- 08:30 Grandmother bound, gagged and tortured for three days - by her...
- 08:20 Sir Bradley Wiggins set for Cadwell Park appearance in British...
- 08:15 Man has genius idea to turn his fridge's ice machine into a sweets...
- 08:14 'Together we can deliver a brighter future for Hull and Humber'