Early guilty plea trial starts at court
Defendants in cases at Crown Court will not receive the maximum discount for pleading guilty unless they do so at the earliest opportunity under a new scheme introduced this month. The Early Guilty Plea Scheme (EGPS), which was trialled in Liverpool in 2009, has now been introduced at Northampton Crown Court.
It is intended to short-circuit criminal prosecutions with a defendant receiving a third off any potential custodial sentence, if they indicate a guilty plea as early as possible.
This will limit the need for detailed case preparation by police and the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).
Prosecutors will allocate which cases might be suitable for EGPS by looking at the strength of... read more
- 01:28 'You're a kite dancing in a hurricane Mr. Bond': Brooding 007...
- 01:28 Aisleyne Horgan-Wallace highlights her curvaceous physique in...
- 01:28 Meet MC Unbelievable! Stephen Mulhern reveals his rapping skills as...
- 01:28 'Thank you for coming out boo': Nicki Minaj straddles rumoured beau...
- 01:28 TOWIE's Jessica Wright and Dan Edgar continue to flirt up a storm...
- 01:28 Dermot O'Leary QUITS The X Factor after presenting the show for...
- 01:18 For the urban jungle: Safari-style fashion for spring
- 01:18 Oliver Bonas, New Look and BHS: The things we want this week
- 01:18 Fresh faced: The best face masks
- 01:08 England 4 Lithuania 0: Player ratings