Early guilty plea trial starts at court
Defendants in cases at Crown Court will not receive the maximum discount for pleading guilty unless they do so at the earliest opportunity under a new scheme introduced this month. The Early Guilty Plea Scheme (EGPS), which was trialled in Liverpool in 2009, has now been introduced at Northampton Crown Court.
It is intended to short-circuit criminal prosecutions with a defendant receiving a third off any potential custodial sentence, if they indicate a guilty plea as early as possible.
This will limit the need for detailed case preparation by police and the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).
Prosecutors will allocate which cases might be suitable for EGPS by looking at the strength of... read more
Most read news
- 09:38 Angel Di Maria: I never wanted Manchester United transfer from Real...
- 09:36 Recycling doesn’t have to be a chore
- 09:36 U.S. suspect in Bali suitcase murder of mother appoints new lawyer
- 09:36 Live: Hillsborough Inquests - Wednesday August 27 2014
- 09:36 Residents see red over new green plan
- 09:34 Boy injured in bedroom fire in Grimsby
- 09:24 Peterborough 52-38 Berwick Bandits
- 09:21 Land’s End to John o’Groats rider
- 09:20 Sunderland teenager with life-threatening illness marks milestone
- 09:17 Vandals smash Clitheroe pub window