Early guilty plea trial starts at court
Defendants in cases at Crown Court will not receive the maximum discount for pleading guilty unless they do so at the earliest opportunity under a new scheme introduced this month. The Early Guilty Plea Scheme (EGPS), which was trialled in Liverpool in 2009, has now been introduced at Northampton Crown Court.
It is intended to short-circuit criminal prosecutions with a defendant receiving a third off any potential custodial sentence, if they indicate a guilty plea as early as possible.
This will limit the need for detailed case preparation by police and the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).
Prosecutors will allocate which cases might be suitable for EGPS by looking at the strength of... read more
Most read news
- 10:45 Revealed: Millions could be at risk of food poisoning due to lethal...
- 10:44 Rangi is so full of himself at the back
- 10:43 Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho: My message ahead of Capital One Cup final
- 10:43 West Ham 1 Crystal Palace 3: Glenn Murray scores twice and then...
- 10:39 Stabbed Boy Cyclist's Sister Pays Tribute
- 10:31 Yeovil Town boss Terry Skiverton believes 1-1 draw with Scunthorpe...
- 10:28 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 10:28 Thousands set to march in Moscow in memory of shot Russian...
- 10:21 Man With Baby Stabs Police Officer In Head
- 10:16 TRANSFER NEWS: Suarez £100m return, Man United BLOW, Arsenal...