Early guilty plea trial starts at court
Defendants in cases at Crown Court will not receive the maximum discount for pleading guilty unless they do so at the earliest opportunity under a new scheme introduced this month. The Early Guilty Plea Scheme (EGPS), which was trialled in Liverpool in 2009, has now been introduced at Northampton Crown Court.
It is intended to short-circuit criminal prosecutions with a defendant receiving a third off any potential custodial sentence, if they indicate a guilty plea as early as possible.
This will limit the need for detailed case preparation by police and the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).... read more
- 03:30 Louis van Gaal backs under-fire Man United captain Wayne Rooney...
- 03:12 Pet owner fined over barking dog in Sheffield
- 03:10 Barber's beer is a heady brew
- 03:07 Paraguay head of indigenous affairs sacked over 'kick'
- 03:05 Syria air strikes: Issue 'above party politics', says McDonnell
- 03:03 Donald Trump suffers his largest drop in polls after week of...
- 02:57 Relatives of Syrian boy washed up on beach 'approved to settle in...
- 02:45 Christmas auction: More of Yorkshire's most exclusive gifts
- 02:42 Arabic graffiti daubed on easyJet planes at French airports two...
- 02:26 Canada 'to admit Alan Kurdi family members'