East Asian actors seek RSC apology over Orphan of Zhao casting
The Orphan of Zhao … Members of the RSC company with the director Greg Doran. Photograph: Kwame Lestrade A group of east Asian actors is seeking an apology from the Royal Shakespeare Company for its controversial casting of The Orphan of Zhao.
Last week, the RSC faced criticism on Facebook over a 17-strong company featuring only three actors of east Asian heritage that will perform James Fenton's adaptation of a piece that is often referred to as the Chinese Hamlet from December.
However, the Stage reports that British Chinese actor Daniel York, the vice-chair of Equity's ethnic minority committee, has called for an apology and a public debate with RSC representatives, including... read more
Most read news
- 20:04 Conservatives put under further pressure by £2.7bn EU contributions
- 20:04 High Speed 2: Hundreds flock to public meeting
- 20:02 Board of Standard Chartered backs CEO and chairman
- 19:55 Business is booming for dog pampering salon
- 19:52 Police give Ed Miliband a ticking off for not donating to...
- 19:18 Man Utd target Mats Hummels on the VERGE of joining Arsenal
- 19:05 Tottenham striker Harry Kane could make first Premier League start...
- 18:13 Man Utd News: Falcao ruled out of derby, Rooney fit, Red Devils...
- 17:21 Cheslea and Arsenal on RED ALERT as Man Utd move a step closer to...
- 15:55 Arsenal receive MASSIVE boost in their pursuit of Sporting Lisbon ace