East Asian actors seek RSC apology over Orphan of Zhao casting
The Orphan of Zhao … Members of the RSC company with the director Greg Doran. Photograph: Kwame Lestrade A group of east Asian actors is seeking an apology from the Royal Shakespeare Company for its controversial casting of The Orphan of Zhao.
Last week, the RSC faced criticism on Facebook over a 17-strong company featuring only three actors of east Asian heritage that will perform James Fenton's adaptation of a piece that is often referred to as the Chinese Hamlet from December.
However, the Stage reports that British Chinese actor Daniel York, the vice-chair of Equity's ethnic minority committee, has called for an apology and a public debate with RSC representatives, including... read more
- 00:50 ‘Cannabis gangs behind grow your own boom’
- 00:50 Ceremonies mark Nazi camp liberation 70 years ago
- 00:42 Scotland’s forgotten hero Andrew de Moray honoured
- 00:42 44 Scotland Street: Ankles and temptation
- 00:42 Aye Write! Finding new ways to tell stories
- 00:41 Miliband: ‘I am not interested in deals with SNP’
- 00:41 David Torrance: Why Miliband’s stance has hardened
- 00:37 Dundee United 0 Celtic 3: Griffiths looks ready for Europe as...
- 00:24 Alliance Trust pins faith in investor ‘passion’
- 00:24 Bailed-out banks forecast to reveal mixed fortunes