East Asian actors seek RSC apology over Orphan of Zhao casting
The Orphan of Zhao … Members of the RSC company with the director Greg Doran. Photograph: Kwame Lestrade A group of east Asian actors is seeking an apology from the Royal Shakespeare Company for its controversial casting of The Orphan of Zhao.
Last week, the RSC faced criticism on Facebook over a 17-strong company featuring only three actors of east Asian heritage that will perform James Fenton's adaptation of a piece that is often referred to as the Chinese Hamlet from December.
However, the Stage reports that British Chinese actor Daniel York, the vice-chair of Equity's ethnic minority committee, has called for an apology and a public debate with RSC representatives, including... read more
Most read news
- 21:42 Ilkeston school sets homework for ex-pupils: Do you remember our song?
- 21:42 Serious sex assault on 20-year-old man
- 21:40 Slice of success: Judges in traditional Italian pizza contest award...
- 21:27 Warwick Mayor helps save life of District Council leader
- 21:25 Didn’t she do well? Miranda Hart lined up for ‘Generation Game’...
- 21:17 Manchester City retain hope but a comeback would even surpass 2012
- 21:11 Time to change central bank role
- 21:11 Everton 2 Manchester United 0 match report: David Moyes’ United...
- 21:00 BREAKING NEWS: Parts of Doncaster town centre sealed off after road...
- 20:49 Does Alan Pardew even realise he has turned Newcastle United into a...