East Asian actors seek RSC apology over Orphan of Zhao casting
The Orphan of Zhao … Members of the RSC company with the director Greg Doran. Photograph: Kwame Lestrade A group of east Asian actors is seeking an apology from the Royal Shakespeare Company for its controversial casting of The Orphan of Zhao.
Last week, the RSC faced criticism on Facebook over a 17-strong company featuring only three actors of east Asian heritage that will perform James Fenton's adaptation of a piece that is often referred to as the Chinese Hamlet from December.
However, the Stage reports that British Chinese actor Daniel York, the vice-chair of Equity's ethnic minority committee, has called for an apology and a public debate with RSC representatives, including... read more
- 15:47 Adopted hero dog saves couple from drowning in the ocean
- 15:42 Jamie Carragher believes his old England U21 side could beat the...
- 15:42 Sir Bradley Wiggins to ride for Team Sky in sprint classic in Belgium
- 15:42 Father to put daughters up for adoption to fund his cancer treatment
- 15:31 UK Weather: Spring might be arriving tonight, but the weather isn't...
- 15:27 GCSE pupils sent to "isolation units' after refusing to take off...
- 15:23 17 things anyone who's ever moved out of London will understand
- 15:23 Benfica star Anderson Talisca gets knocked out while scoring header...
- 15:04 TRANSFER NEWS: Man Utd to sign Pepe, Liverpool eye Barca star,...
- 14:56 Where would Paul Pogba fit in at Manchester United?