East Asian actors seek RSC apology over Orphan of Zhao casting
The Orphan of Zhao … Members of the RSC company with the director Greg Doran. Photograph: Kwame Lestrade A group of east Asian actors is seeking an apology from the Royal Shakespeare Company for its controversial casting of The Orphan of Zhao.
Last week, the RSC faced criticism on Facebook over a 17-strong company featuring only three actors of east Asian heritage that will perform James Fenton's adaptation of a piece that is often referred to as the Chinese Hamlet from December.
However, the Stage reports that British Chinese actor Daniel York, the vice-chair of Equity's ethnic minority committee, has called for an apology and a public debate with RSC representatives, including... read more
Most read news
- 22:48 New arrest by Claudia police as officers drill in York pub
- 22:47 Teen Pilot Dies In Around-The-World Record Bid
- 22:47 Glasgow Celebrates Start Of Commonwealth Games
- 22:47 Leaders: Find the truth about flight MH17
- 22:34 Lincoln City agree deal to sign former Crystal Palace defender Jake...
- 22:30 Vladimir Putin employs a full-time food taster to ensure his meals...
- 22:24 Fiona McCade: The craft to mine a rich seam online
- 22:18 Was John Barrowman's kiss during the Commonwealth Games opening...
- 18:28 Xherdan Shaqiri would be a welcome sight at Anfield if Liverpool...
- 17:49 Tanzania trip tragedy teen Jack Burden: The first picture