East Asian actors seek RSC apology over Orphan of Zhao casting
The Orphan of Zhao … Members of the RSC company with the director Greg Doran. Photograph: Kwame Lestrade A group of east Asian actors is seeking an apology from the Royal Shakespeare Company for its controversial casting of The Orphan of Zhao.
Last week, the RSC faced criticism on Facebook over a 17-strong company featuring only three actors of east Asian heritage that will perform James Fenton's adaptation of a piece that is often referred to as the Chinese Hamlet from December.
However, the Stage reports that British Chinese actor Daniel York, the vice-chair of Equity's ethnic minority committee, has called for an apology and a public debate with RSC representatives, including... read more
Most read news
- 00:16 Gandhi murder film ban over violence fear
- 00:10 Malaysia mourns as MH17 dead are brought home
- 00:10 Kiev fury at Russian aid convoy ‘invasion’
- 00:10 Challenge of taming Generation Jihad still poses more questions...
- 00:10 Tim Sherwood column: 'It started as a three-horse race but turned...
- 00:08 Strong homes market fuels growth for retail brands
- 23:54 Mario Balotelli takes 50 per cent pay cut to join Liverpool as...
- 23:37 Police hunt sneak thief who stole purse
- 23:11 Mario Balotelli "will lose £2million a year if he misbehaves at...
- 21:14 Entertainment Week: Daniel Radcliffe Talks Romance