East Asian actors seek RSC apology over Orphan of Zhao casting
The Orphan of Zhao … Members of the RSC company with the director Greg Doran. Photograph: Kwame Lestrade A group of east Asian actors is seeking an apology from the Royal Shakespeare Company for its controversial casting of The Orphan of Zhao.
Last week, the RSC faced criticism on Facebook over a 17-strong company featuring only three actors of east Asian heritage that will perform James Fenton's adaptation of a piece that is often referred to as the Chinese Hamlet from December.
However, the Stage reports that British Chinese actor Daniel York, the vice-chair of Equity's ethnic minority committee, has called for an apology and a public debate with RSC representatives, including... read more
Most read news
- 11:54 Arsenal bid for 'next Lionel Messi' Ryan Gauld would be...
- 11:54 Manchester United vs Newcastle LIVE: Goals, updates and analysis...
- 11:44 Football team barricaded in dressing room and claim they were...
- 11:39 Miley Cyrus commits the ultimate offence and twerks Santa at KIIS...
- 11:39 One Direction’s Niall Horan and Liam Payne play don’t look at the...
- 11:34 Newlywed 'Thrill-Killers' Met Victim On Web
- 11:22 World Cup draw: the intelligent punter's guide
- 11:18 Hunt for man who tried to grab girls
- 10:50 Rosler appointed new Wigan boss after resigning from Brentford job
- 10:14 Robin van Persie 'hands in transfer request at Manchester United',...