East Asian actors seek RSC apology over Orphan of Zhao casting
The Orphan of Zhao … Members of the RSC company with the director Greg Doran. Photograph: Kwame Lestrade A group of east Asian actors is seeking an apology from the Royal Shakespeare Company for its controversial casting of The Orphan of Zhao.
Last week, the RSC faced criticism on Facebook over a 17-strong company featuring only three actors of east Asian heritage that will perform James Fenton's adaptation of a piece that is often referred to as the Chinese Hamlet from December.
However, the Stage reports that British Chinese actor Daniel York, the vice-chair of Equity's ethnic minority committee, has called for an apology and a public debate with RSC representatives, including... read more
Most read news
- 17:19 David Attenborough's new series Life Story starts tonight on BBC1
- 17:14 Jarrow families’ flood of comments for councillors
- 17:13 Manchester United set to sign Liverpool target Victor Valdes if he...
- 17:11 Mother of Ottawa shooter cries for victims
- 16:48 Ad-free 'anti-Facebook' Ello raises $5.5 million
- 16:45 Which midfielder dubbed 'the Belgian Iniesta' rejected Arsenal due...
- 14:22 Liverpool News: Star midfielder's exit, Origi to return, players...
- 14:03 Zeta-Jones on Whitby spree
- 13:38 Emmanuel Frimpong launches attack on Arsene Wenger's transfer...
- 13:34 Liverpool News: Balotelli apology, Henderson's dream plus Origi...