East Asian actors seek RSC apology over Orphan of Zhao casting
The Orphan of Zhao … Members of the RSC company with the director Greg Doran. Photograph: Kwame Lestrade A group of east Asian actors is seeking an apology from the Royal Shakespeare Company for its controversial casting of The Orphan of Zhao.
Last week, the RSC faced criticism on Facebook over a 17-strong company featuring only three actors of east Asian heritage that will perform James Fenton's adaptation of a piece that is often referred to as the Chinese Hamlet from December.
However, the Stage reports that British Chinese actor Daniel York, the vice-chair of Equity's ethnic minority committee, has called for an apology and a public debate with RSC representatives, including... read more
Most read news
- 03:16 Huge drop in supply teaching hours since 2010
- 03:16 Backing for plan to end divide on courses
- 03:13 In the court of the National Theatre of Scotland's kingmaker
- 03:13 Kudos to the BBC for a Games to savour
- 03:13 Nancy Dell'Lilo on Strictly, Sven and taking to the stage at the...
- 03:13 Scotland's young pretender to comedy crown - Daniel Sloss
- 03:13 Erasure's Andy Bell on his Fringe show, finding love again and...
- 03:13 James MacMillan's early works make for a breathtaking disc
- 02:50 Independence and a currency union may not be compatible for Scotland
- 02:36 Edinburgh Fringe: Referendum Takes Centre Stage