East Asian actors seek RSC apology over Orphan of Zhao casting
The Orphan of Zhao … Members of the RSC company with the director Greg Doran. Photograph: Kwame Lestrade A group of east Asian actors is seeking an apology from the Royal Shakespeare Company for its controversial casting of The Orphan of Zhao.
Last week, the RSC faced criticism on Facebook over a 17-strong company featuring only three actors of east Asian heritage that will perform James Fenton's adaptation of a piece that is often referred to as the Chinese Hamlet from December.
However, the Stage reports that British Chinese actor Daniel York, the vice-chair of Equity's ethnic minority committee, has called for an apology and a public debate with RSC representatives, including... read more
Most read news
- 07:26 Wedgwood collection: Race against time as public urged to raise...
- 07:26 PPI Complaint Volumes Ease In First Half
- 07:24 Northampton MP organises third annual jobs fair at the Guildhall in...
- 07:24 Complaints against British banks fall 42 percent - ombudsman
- 07:23 Pianist tackles 'shocking state' of school music lessons
- 07:23 Dear Ms Morgan: let's look at your 'undead' education team
- 07:20 Handbag stolen in West Bridgford theft
- 07:20 Cannabis user growing drug at home
- 07:18 How London tackles link between alcohol and crime
- 07:17 How London tackles link between alcohol and crime