East Asian actors seek RSC apology over Orphan of Zhao casting
The Orphan of Zhao … Members of the RSC company with the director Greg Doran. Photograph: Kwame Lestrade A group of east Asian actors is seeking an apology from the Royal Shakespeare Company for its controversial casting of The Orphan of Zhao.
Last week, the RSC faced criticism on Facebook over a 17-strong company featuring only three actors of east Asian heritage that will perform James Fenton's adaptation of a piece that is often referred to as the Chinese Hamlet from December.
However, the Stage reports that British Chinese actor Daniel York, the vice-chair of Equity's ethnic minority committee, has called for an apology and a public debate with RSC representatives, including... read more
Most read news
- 17:09 Twitter libel: Sally Bercow says she has 'learned the hard way' as...
- 17:04 Obama drone oversight proposal prompts concern over 'kill courts'
- 17:02 Former school site picks up national housing accolade
- 17:02 Monte Paschi might not be an isolated bank case in Italy - Chairman
- 16:50 Apple, Google and Facebook consider buying GPS app Waze, sparking...
- 16:41 Amanda Bynes' shaved head revealed in mug shot as she heads to...
- 16:30 Kim Kardashian's sister attacked on Twitter by Frances Cobain in a...
- 16:15 African animals come to Scotland for charity book
- 15:58 VIDEO - Armed robbers strike at Skelmanthorpe Post Office
- 15:20 Arsenal close to Williams deal, Benteke and Ilicic to follow?