East Asian actors seek RSC apology over Orphan of Zhao casting
The Orphan of Zhao … Members of the RSC company with the director Greg Doran. Photograph: Kwame Lestrade A group of east Asian actors is seeking an apology from the Royal Shakespeare Company for its controversial casting of The Orphan of Zhao.
Last week, the RSC faced criticism on Facebook over a 17-strong company featuring only three actors of east Asian heritage that will perform James Fenton's adaptation of a piece that is often referred to as the Chinese Hamlet from December.
However, the Stage reports that British Chinese actor Daniel York, the vice-chair of Equity's ethnic minority committee, has called for an apology and a public debate with RSC representatives, including... read more
Most read news
- 17:31 Black Friday sale: Footfall soars in Hull as Asda, Tesco, Boots,...
- 17:31 From us, to you: Our made-in-Leicestershire Christmas gift guide
- 17:26 My dad has chronic depression and has begun to hoard junk
- 17:22 A453 widening: Traffic set to move onto 4km stretch of new road
- 17:17 The best Black Friday deals
- 17:00 Sport Images of the Day: Our picture editor's selection for...
- 16:33 BLACK FRIDAY WEEKEND: See what Asda Derby deals on offer on Saturday
- 16:19 Black Friday sparks start of Christmas shopping rush
- 16:05 Victor Valdes stops training with Manchester United, won't sign for...
- 15:38 The TEN players that Arsene Wenger could move for to save Arsenal's...