East Asian actors seek RSC apology over Orphan of Zhao casting
The Orphan of Zhao … Members of the RSC company with the director Greg Doran. Photograph: Kwame Lestrade A group of east Asian actors is seeking an apology from the Royal Shakespeare Company for its controversial casting of The Orphan of Zhao.
Last week, the RSC faced criticism on Facebook over a 17-strong company featuring only three actors of east Asian heritage that will perform James Fenton's adaptation of a piece that is often referred to as the Chinese Hamlet from December.
However, the Stage reports that British Chinese actor Daniel York, the vice-chair of Equity's ethnic minority committee, has called for an apology and a public debate with RSC representatives, including... read more
Most read news
- 01:41 Fat photo led Jerry to cycle 3,000 miles across China
- 01:34 Maidstone 2-1 Stevenage: Frannie Collin scores a brace as Isthmian...
- 01:34 Asylum seeker boat lands on tiny Micronesian island of Yap
- 01:29 Desperate migrant married stranger in bid to stay in UK with his...
- 01:29 Only 38% of Australia’s Ebola funds have made it to Africa, group...
- 01:29 British youngster Matt Fitzpatrick seals European Tour place for...
- 01:26 Tottenham move for Croatia hitman Andrej Kramaric but face...
- 01:26 Sotheby's 'old master' chief executive steps down
- 01:08 Ferguson protesters and police clash as grand jury decision nears
- 22:33 Louis van Gaal forced to change PHILOSOPHY due to Man Utd's injury...