East Asian actors seek RSC apology over Orphan of Zhao casting
The Orphan of Zhao … Members of the RSC company with the director Greg Doran. Photograph: Kwame Lestrade A group of east Asian actors is seeking an apology from the Royal Shakespeare Company for its controversial casting of The Orphan of Zhao.
Last week, the RSC faced criticism on Facebook over a 17-strong company featuring only three actors of east Asian heritage that will perform James Fenton's adaptation of a piece that is often referred to as the Chinese Hamlet from December.
However, the Stage reports that British Chinese actor Daniel York, the vice-chair of Equity's ethnic minority committee, has called for an apology and a public debate with RSC representatives, including... read more
Most read news
- 16:59 Spread them wide perp - This dog knows hows to get arrested
- 16:59 The power of testosterone - how my body's finally catching up with...
- 16:53 The big Christmas dilemma - to light up or to not light up?
- 16:34 Art review: Scotland’s best shows of 2014
- 16:30 Harrogate school students trained for emergencies
- 16:29 You'll probably eat the calorific equivilant of TWELVE Big Macs on...
- 16:28 Warnock rages at disallowed Palace goal
- 16:28 Tributes to respected cricketer Simon Stirling - ‘a talented player...
- 16:25 Manchester United plot £80m TRIPLE swoop in January
- 16:25 Liverpool News: Rodgers' Sanchez revelations, Sterling wins award,...