Face transplant man doing well after biggest operation yet
Face transplant operation gives man new jaw and teeth. Link to this video After 15 years of wearing a mask and living as a recluse, a 37-year-old Virginia man disfigured in a gun accident has been given a new face, nose, teeth and jaw in what his doctors say is the most extensive face transplant yet performed.
Richard Lee Norris, of Hillsville, is recovering well after last week's surgery, beginning to feel his face, and already brushing his teeth and shaving, University of Maryland medical centre officials said. He has also regained his sense of smell, which he lost after the accident.
Richard Norris as he was in 1993 (left), in a pre-transplant, photo, and as he looked on Monday.... read more
Most read news
- 07:53 France backs call to put Hezbollah armed wing on EU terror list
- 07:39 Gay MP reveals brutal street attack
- 07:35 Nissan to recall more than 800,000 cars
- 07:34 Switching from scandals, Obama to address drones and Guantanamo
- 07:28 Regional police tsars hit back at claims of soaring costs at offices
- 07:28 Four Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes, says White House
- 07:15 From the archive, 23 May 1973: Calls to bar Alice Cooper from UK
- 07:11 Chef enjoys second helpings of award
- 07:09 The Apprentice; Bankers – TV review
- 07:09 The Apprentice: a psychological assessment