Falmouth Beach Hotel engulfed in flames after huge fire breaks out
The hotel, in the Gyllyngvase area of Falmouth, was entirely engulfed in smoke after the fire broke out around noon just before staff members prepared to serve lunch.All guests and hotel employees have been safely evacuated with no reports of any injuries as a result of the fire.
Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said ten fire engines were at the scene.
It is thought the hotel's roof has now collapsed following the fire, while according to reports strong winds are fanning flames and hampering efforts to extinguish the blaze.
David Thomas, news editor of the local newspaper the Falmouth Packet, said it was 'one of the worst [fires] I've seen'.
'It's a huge fire,' he said. 'It's destroying... read more
Most read news
- 23:10 Sergio Garcia fights for reputation as Tiger Woods slams 'hurtful'...
- 23:02 Taking the fifth: how Lois Lerner of the IRS followed a...
- 22:58 Markets rally as Ben Bernanke backs further quantitative easing
- 22:58 Boxing: Carl Froch predicts 'phenomenal' fight against Mikkel Kessler
- 22:58 England v New Zealand: We will try to win it with words, says Neil...
- 22:58 Former Manchester United and England defender Brian Greenhoff dies
- 22:58 Andrew Simpson funeral to be held next week
- 22:58 Rory McIlroy puts aside management split to revive season
- 22:58 Lewis Hamilton hopes tyre science pays off for Mercedes in Monte Carlo
- 22:58 Joe Root remains grounded as 'dream' of Yorkshire Test hits home