'Frozen pension' victims abroad urge action
British expatriates whose state pensions never go up say they want Britain suspended from the Commonwealth for discriminating against them. More than a million pensioners have retired abroad - often joining family who have emigrated or returning to the country of their birth.
Many receive the same state pension as their UK-based counterparts.
But others had their pension frozen at the date of retirement, meaning they receive as little as £6.75 a week.
More than half of UK pensioners retired... read more
- 11:05 Missing Doncaster teen found safe and well
- 11:03 Freight trains derail after Cumnock crash
- 11:03 Derby victory for Ovenden
- 11:02 Jeremy Corbyn tells the ECHO: 'I love Liverpool'
- 10:58 HJK Helsinki 0-2 Liverpool FC: Lovren and Gomez jump ahead in...
- 10:56 RBS, why the rush to sell it off?
- 10:24 Three reasons Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo will rejoin...
- 10:15 Robbie Keane and Steven Gerrard star in 3-1 win for LA Galaxy over...
- 10:12 Manchester United "reach agreement on £21.1m Nicolas Gaitan transfer'
- 08:38 Company aims to help reduce energy bills