Grainger and Watkins strike gold
Katherine Grainger's quest for Olympic glory is over after she won a sensational gold medal with Anna Watkins in the women's double scull.
The British crew destroyed the field at Eton Dorney to add an Olympic crown to the two world titles they have won during two unbeaten years.
Grainger and Watkins led from the start and were roared on to a commanding victory, beating Australia by a length with Poland taking a distant bronze.
Grainger fell into an embrace with Watkins and acknowledged the support of the 30,000 crowd after finally tasting victory at an Olympics.
Most read news
- 01:18 She is the view! Carmen Electra sizzles on the beach in a tiny...
- 00:30 Anti-Muslim reprisals after Woolwich attack
- 23:10 Sergio Garcia fights for reputation as Tiger Woods slams 'hurtful'...
- 23:02 Taking the fifth: how Lois Lerner of the IRS followed a...
- 23:02 Mad Men recap: Season six, episode eight – The Crash
- 22:58 Markets rally as Ben Bernanke backs further quantitative easing
- 22:58 Boxing: Carl Froch predicts 'phenomenal' fight against Mikkel Kessler
- 22:58 England v New Zealand: We will try to win it with words, says Neil...
- 22:58 Former Manchester United and England defender Brian Greenhoff dies
- 22:58 Rory McIlroy puts aside management split to revive season