HALF OF FEMALE REFUGEES 'RAPED'
Women For Refugee Women said its report into the fate of more than 70 respondents living in seven UK cities also found that the vast majority claiming to have been raped had been refused asylum.
Of those refused asylum, two-thirds were left destitute - with no support or housing - and more than half had thought about killing themselves.
Conducted in London, Manchester, Bradford, Cardiff, Stoke-on-Trent, Newport and Glasgow, the research found that most of the women in the sample had experienced serious human rights abuses, including rape, imprisonment, violence from soldiers or police, forced marriage and forced prostitution.
In total, 48% of those questioned had experienced rape as part... read more
Most read news
- 14:15 Somali lawmakers withdraw confidence vote against PM
- 14:13 Caravan park owner on drug charges
- 14:12 Xbox One: five key points you need to know
- 14:10 My best game was the Youth Cup final in 1991, I scored a good goal:...
- 14:10 Pellegrini paves the way for move to City by confirming imminent...
- 14:10 Not a clever move! Gotze risks more anger from Dortmund fans after...
- 14:09 Afghan interpreters can come to UK
- 14:09 Steven Spielberg to produce Halo TV series with exclusive content...
- 14:09 French director Guillaume Canet had to make New York dirtier for...
- 14:08 Epworth star Sheridan Smith spotted smooching with Russell Brand