Head teacher leaves Merrill College after a vote of no confidence
But yesterday the Derby Telegraph revealed that more than 60 staff at a union meeting held a unanimous vote of no confidence against Mr Whelan. Last night a spokeswoman for the school's governors confirmed that Mr Whelan was no longer at Merrill and that the former head teacher, Andy Scott, had returned.
The spokeswoman said: "Mr Whelan is employed by Derby College and had been seconded to the school.
That secondment has now been cancelled but he is still employed by the college.
"Meanwhile Andy Scott is back as acting head teacher at Merrill."
Teachers at Merrill had threatened to go on strike and it is now unclear whether they will still be balloted for action.
Members of... read more
Most read news
- 20:03 Secret Cinema interview: Why were Back to the Future screenings...
- 20:00 Showtime in Sunderland as air displays entertain thousands
- 19:57 Goldman mortgage deal with federal agency could reach $1.25 billion...
- 19:57 Murdoch's Fox open to giving Time Warner board seats in new bid -...
- 19:56 Hundreds take part in city centre march for Gaza
- 19:48 Why £16million for Calum Chambers is a cracking piece of business...
- 19:42 The best British summer days out for the family
- 19:41 Carl Jenkinson teaches American Arsenal fans "Tottenham are sh*t' song
- 19:40 Fighter jets scrambled after passenger "threatens to blow up plane...
- 19:40 Man mocks police on Facebook post of own mugshot, gets caught next day