Head teacher leaves Merrill College after a vote of no confidence
But yesterday the Derby Telegraph revealed that more than 60 staff at a union meeting held a unanimous vote of no confidence against Mr Whelan. Last night a spokeswoman for the school's governors confirmed that Mr Whelan was no longer at Merrill and that the former head teacher, Andy Scott, had returned.
The spokeswoman said: "Mr Whelan is employed by Derby College and had been seconded to the school.
That secondment has now been cancelled but he is still employed by the college.
"Meanwhile Andy Scott is back as acting head teacher at Merrill."
Teachers at Merrill had threatened to go on strike and it is now unclear whether they will still be balloted for action.
Members of... read more
Most read news
- 01:21 Women Urged To Stop Britons Fighting In Syria
- 01:20 Scotland would beat UK to high speed rail - Salmond
- 01:15 Japan ship firm pays about $40 million to China after seizure - media
- 01:09 Apple beats estimates on iPhones and Macs
- 01:07 Revealed: The 50 Streets With Slowest Broadband
- 01:01 Hated tuition £9,000 tuition fees might not save any money, says...
- 00:55 Flybe launches London City routes in rebirth bid
- 00:48 Man charged after fatal stabbing in Tapestry tapas bar in Mortlake
- 00:30 Lung cancer set to catch breast cancer as the deadliest cancer...
- 00:25 'Friendly' drone on dog leash takes off