Head teacher leaves Merrill College after a vote of no confidence
But yesterday the Derby Telegraph revealed that more than 60 staff at a union meeting held a unanimous vote of no confidence against Mr Whelan. Last night a spokeswoman for the school's governors confirmed that Mr Whelan was no longer at Merrill and that the former head teacher, Andy Scott, had returned.
The spokeswoman said: "Mr Whelan is employed by Derby College and had been seconded to the school.
That secondment has now been cancelled but he is still employed by the college.
"Meanwhile Andy Scott is back as acting head teacher at Merrill."
Teachers at Merrill had threatened to go on strike and it is now unclear whether they will still be balloted for action.
Members of... read more
Most read news
- 11:30 Police helicopter swoops over Derby streets today
- 11:23 Ted Robbins collapse: Phoenix Nights Live show tonight to go ahead...
- 11:23 Fans show their support for Ted Robbins after he collapsed on stage...
- 11:20 Zlatan Ibrahimovic tears in to journalist after Paris...
- 11:19 Nicola Sturgeon urges Scots to register to vote
- 11:17 Danny Alexander rules out SNP deal over Trident
- 11:01 Call for beer duty cut to help Derby brewers
- 10:56 Roma forcing Manchester United to wrap up £11.2m Aleksandar...
- 10:24 Insurance row over vicar's Jesus Christ car stickers
- 10:09 Darren Fletcher back on West Brom radar after Manchester United...