Head teacher leaves Merrill College after a vote of no confidence
But yesterday the Derby Telegraph revealed that more than 60 staff at a union meeting held a unanimous vote of no confidence against Mr Whelan. Last night a spokeswoman for the school's governors confirmed that Mr Whelan was no longer at Merrill and that the former head teacher, Andy Scott, had returned.
The spokeswoman said: "Mr Whelan is employed by Derby College and had been seconded to the school.
That secondment has now been cancelled but he is still employed by the college.
"Meanwhile Andy Scott is back as acting head teacher at Merrill."
Teachers at Merrill had threatened to go on strike and it is now unclear whether they will still be balloted for action.
Members of... read more
Most read news
- 01:58 Little fundraiser Aimee causes a stir
- 01:55 Tate boss Sir Nicholas Serota tops art power list
- 01:55 Pre-Monty Python TV comedy episodes rediscovered
- 01:48 Glaxo to float its HIV cures as a standalone £15bn drugs giant
- 01:48 Probation service sell-off faces legal challenge from unions
- 01:48 Market Report: The AA’s quarterly review shows insurance costs are...
- 01:48 Jim Armitage: For fashion to fit Euan Sutherland, he must prove...
- 01:48 Ben Chu: Manufacturing delivers huge benefits – so let’s have more...
- 01:45 Manchester United vs Chelsea: Blues are as good as the 2004...
- 01:45 Pete Jenson: Jose Mourinho can thank Spain coach for helping Diego...