HEAGE: Tory councillor defects to UKIP
A Conservative county councillor has defected to UKIP.
Councillor Juliette Stevens, who was elected to Derbyshire County Council in 2009, said the Conservative Party was losing “touch with their electorate”.
Ms Stevens, from Heage, who has previously been leader of Ripley Town Council and sat on Amber Valley Borough Council, said: “I’d encourage anybody who has been turned off voting by three tired old parties to look at what UKIP can offer, a chance to bring real democracy back to local politics in Derbyshire.
“I have long felt that the Conservative Party, both locally and nationally, are losing touch with their electorate.
“While acknowledging that, as a party, the... read more
Most read news
- 09:12 Former Stags man’s pub ban over rib row
- 09:11 Chelsea defender Alex Davey is ready for first-team football at...
- 09:07 Football transfer rumours: Robin van Persie off to Internazionale?
- 09:05 'Bam! Bam! I could feel I was stabbed ... I thought I was going to...
- 09:05 Generators Drax, Intergen fined for missing energy-saving targets
- 09:05 Chaos reigns at White Hart Lane as THREE pitch invaders mar Spurs'...
- 09:05 Brazilian legend Pele tells fans he's 'doing fine'
- 09:04 Roberto Soldado fails to deliver again as Tottenham Hotspur edge...
- 09:03 Black Friday marks the start of Christmas spending frenzy
- 09:02 Tributes to Marjory Fawcett, one of oldest people in Grimsby, who...