HEAGE: Tory councillor defects to UKIP
A Conservative county councillor has defected to UKIP.
Councillor Juliette Stevens, who was elected to Derbyshire County Council in 2009, said the Conservative Party was losing “touch with their electorate”.
Ms Stevens, from Heage, who has previously been leader of Ripley Town Council and sat on Amber Valley Borough Council, said: “I’d encourage anybody who has been turned off voting by three tired old parties to look at what UKIP can offer, a chance to bring real democracy back to local politics in Derbyshire.
“I have long felt that the Conservative Party, both locally and nationally, are losing touch with their electorate.
“While acknowledging that, as a party, the... read more
- 09:04 Live: Aston Villa FA Cup Final - Follow all the build-up, see your...
- 09:04 Arsene Wenger: Jack Wilshere knows he's wanted by Arsenal
- 09:03 Big issue: Supply outstrips demand for milk but who gets the cream?
- 08:56 Manchester United "make £35.6m Karim Benzema transfer offer'
- 08:56 Uphill work for brothers-in-law
- 08:56 Join singalong outside Old Gaol in Buckingham to celebrate the town
- 08:52 Anthony Reveillere to stay at Sunderland but it’s the end for...
- 08:51 Haroon Ahmed: Violent armed robber still on the run after prison...
- 08:45 Sacked hacker's £41,000 'Ena Sharples revenge' on Leicester company
- 08:40 Scottish Cup Final: Inverness boss John Hughes snubs pre-match...