HEAGE: Tory councillor defects to UKIP
A Conservative county councillor has defected to UKIP.
Councillor Juliette Stevens, who was elected to Derbyshire County Council in 2009, said the Conservative Party was losing “touch with their electorate”.
Ms Stevens, from Heage, who has previously been leader of Ripley Town Council and sat on Amber Valley Borough Council, said: “I’d encourage anybody who has been turned off voting by three tired old parties to look at what UKIP can offer, a chance to bring real democracy back to local politics in Derbyshire.
“I have long felt that the Conservative Party, both locally and... read more
- 09:26 Liza Minnelli takes 200-mile Uber ride to US concert
- 09:18 'Food is medicine': the hospital with a mission to serve patients...
- 09:14 Motherwell badminton ace Alex Dunn takes double under-19 title...
- 09:14 Pre-loved furniture is donated to sheltered accommodation building
- 09:14 Motorcross trek in aid of charity
- 09:12 Another personal best for Mitchell
- 09:08 FTSE 100 rises as Glencore move lifts mining sector
- 09:07 Xiuhtezcatl Roske-Martinez: ‘Our greed is destroying the planet’
- 09:07 Pictured: Scotland fan invades Hampden pitch for selfie with Robert...
- 09:07 Neil Findlay MSP: Don't sell Faslane workers down the river over...