HEAGE: Tory councillor defects to UKIP
A Conservative county councillor has defected to UKIP.
Councillor Juliette Stevens, who was elected to Derbyshire County Council in 2009, said the Conservative Party was losing “touch with their electorate”.
Ms Stevens, from Heage, who has previously been leader of Ripley Town Council and sat on Amber Valley Borough Council, said: “I’d encourage anybody who has been turned off voting by three tired old parties to look at what UKIP can offer, a chance to bring real democracy back to local politics in Derbyshire.
“I have long felt that the Conservative Party, both locally and nationally, are... read more
- 08:24 Dr Mary McCarthy: Contract decision a sign of total failure
- 08:24 UK needs Trident to maintain 'outsized role on global stage', says US
- 08:24 Poll: Is it now too difficult to move from renting into...
- 08:20 Junior Football: Cambuslang Rangers boss wants players focused...
- 08:16 It’s a cracker: Yotam Ottolenghi’s braised egg recipes
- 08:14 Poll shows romance alive north of border as Valentine’s Day approaches
- 08:06 Clueless neds raid bookies in Mission Impossible style.. only to...
- 07:58 Dating like a New Yorker: I went to the Big Apple to get a slice of...
- 07:58 Israel says has mended fences with EU in Netanyahu-Mogherini call
- 07:54 Jack Collison retires from football aged 27 after persistent knee...