HEAGE: Tory councillor defects to UKIP
A Conservative county councillor has defected to UKIP.
Councillor Juliette Stevens, who was elected to Derbyshire County Council in 2009, said the Conservative Party was losing “touch with their electorate”.
Ms Stevens, from Heage, who has previously been leader of Ripley Town Council and sat on Amber Valley Borough Council, said: “I’d encourage anybody who has been turned off voting by three tired old parties to look at what UKIP can offer, a chance to bring real democracy back to local politics in Derbyshire.
“I have long felt that the Conservative Party, both locally and... read more
- 15:31 Steve McClaren to haul Newcastle in for extra training after Palace...
- 15:29 Hiding in plain sight: inside the world of Turkey's people smugglers
- 15:24 Adele's comeback album 25 breaks US records
- 15:24 Paris turned into a sea of shoes as climate change campaigners lay...
- 15:23 Liverpool vs Swansea and Norwich vs Arsenal Barclays Premier League...
- 15:20 Health scientist Jonathan Berg publishes brilliant pictures in his...
- 15:19 Climate change protests turn violent in Paris
- 15:15 Burnley company packing the most into the festive season
- 15:14 Earby holiday firm celebrates new identity
- 15:11 Players Championship Darts: Double trouble for Adrian Lewis but he...