HEAGE: Tory councillor defects to UKIP
A Conservative county councillor has defected to UKIP.
Councillor Juliette Stevens, who was elected to Derbyshire County Council in 2009, said the Conservative Party was losing “touch with their electorate”.
Ms Stevens, from Heage, who has previously been leader of Ripley Town Council and sat on Amber Valley Borough Council, said: “I’d encourage anybody who has been turned off voting by three tired old parties to look at what UKIP can offer, a chance to bring real democracy back to local politics in Derbyshire.
“I have long felt that the Conservative Party, both locally and nationally, are losing touch with their electorate.
“While acknowledging that, as a party, the... read more
Most read news
- 15:21 Christian Eriksen happy to play provider in Tottenham victory over...
- 15:21 Chelsea defenders should have been nominated for Player of the Year...
- 15:19 Motherwell 3 Celtic 3: Sutton saves Steelmen with late strike leveller
- 15:19 Cricket: Peter Moores named new England coach
- 15:16 Rejected solar farm near Claypole ‘like a POW camp’
- 15:14 Godzilla teaser trailer offers first glimpse of monster
- 15:08 In Damascus, Christians briefly ignore war for Easter
- 15:04 Tottenham 3 - Fulham 1: Paulinho sends Spurs on their way
- 14:57 Sunderland celebrates international Record Store Day
- 14:43 Amy's 10k tribute to sister killed by cancer