HEAGE: Tory councillor defects to UKIP
A Conservative county councillor has defected to UKIP.
Councillor Juliette Stevens, who was elected to Derbyshire County Council in 2009, said the Conservative Party was losing “touch with their electorate”.
Ms Stevens, from Heage, who has previously been leader of Ripley Town Council and sat on Amber Valley Borough Council, said: “I’d encourage anybody who has been turned off voting by three tired old parties to look at what UKIP can offer, a chance to bring real democracy back to local politics in Derbyshire.
“I have long felt that the Conservative Party, both locally and nationally, are losing touch with their electorate.
“While acknowledging that, as a party, the... read more
Most read news
- 14:27 Man in breach of his order
- 14:24 Australian police foil Islamic State ‘plot to behead victim in street’
- 14:23 Honeymoon Brit Killed In Jet Ski Crash
- 14:16 Bassetlaw: Council agrees 15-year deal with A1 Housing
- 14:09 Mum's bid to help other sick children in memory of her daughter,...
- 14:08 WATCH: Berwickshire goes to the polls
- 14:08 Teenager interests Chelsea and Liverpool while Arsenal line up...
- 14:08 Try your had at floral arts with Sunderland flower club
- 13:59 Baby cries, the universal language: Mammals respond to distress...
- 13:52 Latest exit poll - No 53%, Yes 47%: Union on a knife edge