HEAGE: Tory councillor defects to UKIP
A Conservative county councillor has defected to UKIP.
Councillor Juliette Stevens, who was elected to Derbyshire County Council in 2009, said the Conservative Party was losing “touch with their electorate”.
Ms Stevens, from Heage, who has previously been leader of Ripley Town Council and sat on Amber Valley Borough Council, said: “I’d encourage anybody who has been turned off voting by three tired old parties to look at what UKIP can offer, a chance to bring real democracy back to local politics in Derbyshire.
“I have long felt that the Conservative Party, both locally and nationally, are losing touch with their electorate.
“While acknowledging that, as a party, the... read more
- 05:14 Fort Dunlop-based communications company wins second national award...
- 05:11 Welsh Premier round-up: Colin Caton hails Bala Town as his men dig...
- 05:11 Israel 0 Wales 3: Five things we learned as Wales edged closer to...
- 05:11 Devastated Louis Moult vows to bring Wrexham FC the success club...
- 05:09 WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns the WWE as he cashes in...
- 04:44 Birmingham 'shoppers' tax' is scrapped - for now
- 04:44 Election set for men-only contests in parts of Birmingham
- 04:17 Week ahead: Take a walk on the wild side in Scotland's undiscovered...
- 00:57 Manchester United "likely to seal Nigel De Jong transfer, Louis van...
- 00:12 Arsenal "looking to seal transfer of £24.8m Barcelona ace Pedro'