HEAGE: Tory councillor defects to UKIP
A Conservative county councillor has defected to UKIP.
Councillor Juliette Stevens, who was elected to Derbyshire County Council in 2009, said the Conservative Party was losing “touch with their electorate”.
Ms Stevens, from Heage, who has previously been leader of Ripley Town Council and sat on Amber Valley Borough Council, said: “I’d encourage anybody who has been turned off voting by three tired old parties to look at what UKIP can offer, a chance to bring real democracy back to local politics in Derbyshire.
“I have long felt that the Conservative Party, both locally and nationally, are losing touch with their electorate.
“While acknowledging that, as a party, the... read more
Most read news
- 10:10 27 things women do during sex that men hate
- 10:08 Live: Hillsborough Inquests - Wednesday October 22 2014
- 10:01 S Club 7 reunite for BBC appeal
- 10:01 Premier League trophy on display in Leicester city centre tomorrow
- 09:46 Didier Drogba: What my first goal back at Chelsea meant to me
- 09:44 MILESTONE BEER: Housing provider Derwent Living marks 50 years with...
- 09:40 Name the latest weapon in war against crime in South Yorks
- 09:40 Death of man in Freeman Street Grimsby is suspicious as detectives...
- 09:20 David Moyes didn't realise size of mammoth Manchester United job,...
- 09:10 Manchester United transfer gossip: £20m Pique bid, Berahino linked,...