HEAGE: Tory councillor defects to UKIP
A Conservative county councillor has defected to UKIP.
Councillor Juliette Stevens, who was elected to Derbyshire County Council in 2009, said the Conservative Party was losing “touch with their electorate”.
Ms Stevens, from Heage, who has previously been leader of Ripley Town Council and sat on Amber Valley Borough Council, said: “I’d encourage anybody who has been turned off voting by three tired old parties to look at what UKIP can offer, a chance to bring real democracy back to local politics in Derbyshire.
“I have long felt that the Conservative Party, both locally and nationally, are losing touch with their electorate.
“While acknowledging that, as a party, the... read more
- 03:26 Warning as 'e-waste' levels rise
- 03:13 Clyde 2 Albion Rovers 3: Title glory for Darren Young's men
- 03:13 Deal with it, fiery Peter Houston tells Alan Stubbs
- 03:13 High noon at Hampden for Christie family
- 03:09 TOWIE's Georgia Kousoulou looks sensational in mint green crop top...
- 03:09 Who's that girl? 12-year-old Henry Gallagher blows BGT audiences...
- 03:09 'I now actually believe in magic': Simon Cowell left astounded as...
- 03:07 Marlborough mound mystery solved – after 4,400 years
- 02:37 Tony Abbott skols a schooner of beer in six seconds in Sydney pub
- 02:13 SNP to back Labour on English tuition fees