HEAGE: Tory councillor defects to UKIP
A Conservative county councillor has defected to UKIP.
Councillor Juliette Stevens, who was elected to Derbyshire County Council in 2009, said the Conservative Party was losing “touch with their electorate”.
Ms Stevens, from Heage, who has previously been leader of Ripley Town Council and sat on Amber Valley Borough Council, said: “I’d encourage anybody who has been turned off voting by three tired old parties to look at what UKIP can offer, a chance to bring real democracy back to local politics in Derbyshire.
“I have long felt that the Conservative Party, both locally and nationally, are losing touch with their electorate.
“While acknowledging that, as a party, the... read more
Most read news
- 01:33 Man accused of violent threats against his ex faces trial
- 01:32 Censored Robert Louis Stevenson work for release
- 01:28 Adel Taarabt accused of being a blatant liar by QPR manager Harry...
- 01:28 Craig Bellamy's 17-year-old son Ellis has trials with Championship...
- 01:28 Bayern Munich discuss signing former Manchester United and Brighton...
- 01:28 Philippe Senderos shrugs off critics from Arsenal days as defender...
- 01:20 EXCLUSIVE: Disgraced footie rapist Ched Evans set for £1m payday
- 01:16 Legend Allon: It would be a ‘disaster’ if Pools fell out of league
- 00:55 Edinburgh police cordon off street in hunt for alleged gunman on...
- 00:34 The college putting football first for A-level girls