HEAGE: Tory councillor defects to UKIP
A Conservative county councillor has defected to UKIP.
Councillor Juliette Stevens, who was elected to Derbyshire County Council in 2009, said the Conservative Party was losing “touch with their electorate”.
Ms Stevens, from Heage, who has previously been leader of Ripley Town Council and sat on Amber Valley Borough Council, said: “I’d encourage anybody who has been turned off voting by three tired old parties to look at what UKIP can offer, a chance to bring real democracy back to local politics in Derbyshire.
“I have long felt that the Conservative Party, both locally and nationally, are losing touch with their electorate.
“While acknowledging that, as a party, the... read more
Most read news
- 01:32 Tony Bellew makes point to Nathan Cleverly in mystifying split...
- 01:31 Tony Bellew vs Nathan Cleverly: Bellew takes his revenge with...
- 01:28 Roy Hodgson wants Premier League clubs to release England stars for...
- 01:28 World Cup tests another victory for concussion campaign
- 01:26 Saturday Sundae: Alan Pardew’s remarkable renaissance continues
- 01:22 Tunisians go to polls for presidential election
- 01:17 Championship roundup: Gary Bowyer hails Blackburn’s best win of season
- 01:15 Tottenham striker Harry Kane hopes to match idols Jurgen Klinsmann...
- 01:02 Arsenal's defeat against Manchester United is a case of deja vu......
- 00:53 Ed Balls: Fund the NHS with bank fines