HEAGE: Tory councillor defects to UKIP
A Conservative county councillor has defected to UKIP.
Councillor Juliette Stevens, who was elected to Derbyshire County Council in 2009, said the Conservative Party was losing “touch with their electorate”.
Ms Stevens, from Heage, who has previously been leader of Ripley Town Council and sat on Amber Valley Borough Council, said: “I’d encourage anybody who has been turned off voting by three tired old parties to look at what UKIP can offer, a chance to bring real democracy back to local politics in Derbyshire.
“I have long felt that the Conservative Party, both locally and nationally, are losing touch with their electorate.
“While acknowledging that, as a party, the... read more
Most read news
- 18:36 Rainbow walk for heroes charity
- 18:29 MH17 crash victims: First bodies arrive in Netherlands from Ukraine
- 18:29 Early puberty could increase a girl's chance of diabetes, heart...
- 17:49 Tanzania trip tragedy teen Jack Burden: The first picture
- 16:37 Van Gaal: Man Utd are putting my chances of success in jeopardy...
- 16:18 Clegg hits out at Commonwealth gay rights records
- 15:59 Tributes paid to tragic teenager Jack Burden
- 15:55 Liverpool hope to beat Manchester United to Arturo Vidal transfer...
- 13:51 Is it time Arsenal's forgotten man Abou Diaby showed his worth?
- 12:03 Arsene Wenger is right, Arsenal do NOT need another centre-forward