HEAGE: Tory councillor defects to UKIP
A Conservative county councillor has defected to UKIP.
Councillor Juliette Stevens, who was elected to Derbyshire County Council in 2009, said the Conservative Party was losing “touch with their electorate”.
Ms Stevens, from Heage, who has previously been leader of Ripley Town Council and sat on Amber Valley Borough Council, said: “I’d encourage anybody who has been turned off voting by three tired old parties to look at what UKIP can offer, a chance to bring real democracy back to local politics in Derbyshire.
“I have long felt that the Conservative Party, both locally and nationally, are losing touch with their electorate.
“While acknowledging that, as a party, the... read more
Most read news
- 05:49 Sunderland man in critical condition after fall
- 05:44 Lights praise
- 05:28 200-year-old mystery of Shugborough Code 'solved'
- 05:17 Scott Mann smashed pint glass over man's head in unprovoked attack...
- 05:12 Severe weather warning issued for North East – gusts could hit 65mph
- 04:44 Australian defence minister out in cabinet reshuffle
- 04:37 Booze Bus Aims To Ease Pressure On A&E
- 04:30 The Apprentice final on BBC1 tonight - will Mark Wright or Bianca...
- 04:29 China's Fine Wine That's Fit For The Queen
- 04:22 FIRST PERSON: Real help available to end domestic violence and...