HEAGE: Tory councillor defects to UKIP
A Conservative county councillor has defected to UKIP.
Councillor Juliette Stevens, who was elected to Derbyshire County Council in 2009, said the Conservative Party was losing “touch with their electorate”.
Ms Stevens, from Heage, who has previously been leader of Ripley Town Council and sat on Amber Valley Borough Council, said: “I’d encourage anybody who has been turned off voting by three tired old parties to look at what UKIP can offer, a chance to bring real democracy back to local politics in Derbyshire.
“I have long felt that the Conservative Party, both locally and nationally, are losing touch with their electorate.
“While acknowledging that, as a party, the... read more
Most read news
- 22:01 Elephants drugged with heroin by Chinese gangs
- 21:59 Eastbourne Pier fire: recap after blaze destroyed large section of...
- 21:57 Romelu Lukaku joins Everton: Striker completes club-record £24m...
- 21:48 Bank of America ordered to pay $1.27 billion for 'Hustle' fraud
- 21:43 Man rescued by fire crews following two-car crash outside of Morley...
- 21:40 COLUMN-Fed to widen Main St/Wall St gap: James Saft
- 21:35 Dementia diagnosis rises by 60 per cent in 7 years
- 19:26 Former Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand conducts awkward...
- 18:57 Steven Gerrard’s encouragement for Garstang teenager
- 17:54 Arturo Vidal will tell Juventus he wants Manchester United transfer...