HEAGE: Tory councillor defects to UKIP
A Conservative county councillor has defected to UKIP.
Councillor Juliette Stevens, who was elected to Derbyshire County Council in 2009, said the Conservative Party was losing “touch with their electorate”.
Ms Stevens, from Heage, who has previously been leader of Ripley Town Council and sat on Amber Valley Borough Council, said: “I’d encourage anybody who has been turned off voting by three tired old parties to look at what UKIP can offer, a chance to bring real democracy back to local politics in Derbyshire.
“I have long felt that the Conservative Party, both locally and nationally, are losing touch with their electorate.
“While acknowledging that, as a party, the... read more
Most read news
- 15:16 I was a late developer
- 15:16 The trouble with modern friendship
- 15:14 The best Halloween memes and Tweets from the Premier League,...
- 15:01 Cameron hosted Claudia Schiffer at Chequers and served lunch to Queen
- 14:33 Labour take victory in Yorkshire crime tsar poll, but few vote
- 14:27 Mats Hummels move to Man Utd or Arsenal is OFF… and Marco Reus is...
- 14:02 TEAM NEWS: Morgan set to start for Leicester; West Brom without...
- 13:23 Arsenal push for £25.5m Cedric transfer as agent refuses to rule...
- 13:14 Marco Reus issues cryptic STATEMENT amid Liverpool, Arsenal, Man...
- 12:12 Eden Hazard: Why Chelsea captain John Terry is so important