HEAGE: Tory councillor defects to UKIP
A Conservative county councillor has defected to UKIP.
Councillor Juliette Stevens, who was elected to Derbyshire County Council in 2009, said the Conservative Party was losing “touch with their electorate”.
Ms Stevens, from Heage, who has previously been leader of Ripley Town Council and sat on Amber Valley Borough Council, said: “I’d encourage anybody who has been turned off voting by three tired old parties to look at what UKIP can offer, a chance to bring real democracy back to local politics in Derbyshire.
“I have long felt that the Conservative Party, both locally and nationally, are losing touch with their electorate.
“While acknowledging that, as a party, the... read more
- 07:03 Manchester United transfer gossip: Paul Pogba update
- 07:01 'Self-harm' and violence on rise at Dovegate Prison
- 06:58 Philippine offensive against Muslim rebels displaces thousands
- 06:58 WEATHER: Heavy cloud and wind for Lincolnshire
- 06:58 Mamma Mia! is coming to Nottingham on debut UK tour
- 06:55 Myanmar police arrest five student protesters in town near Yangon
- 06:33 Mayor Sir Peter Soulsby not going to Cannes business conference...
- 06:27 Nicky Law insists Rangers players back Dave King power grab and...
- 05:27 Brendan Rodgers was right - Emre CAN become world-class for...
- 05:27 Tony Grant: The Evertonian trying to engineer Liverpool FC's FA Cup...