HEAGE: Tory councillor defects to UKIP
A Conservative county councillor has defected to UKIP.
Councillor Juliette Stevens, who was elected to Derbyshire County Council in 2009, said the Conservative Party was losing “touch with their electorate”.
Ms Stevens, from Heage, who has previously been leader of Ripley Town Council and sat on Amber Valley Borough Council, said: “I’d encourage anybody who has been turned off voting by three tired old parties to look at what UKIP can offer, a chance to bring real democracy back to local politics in Derbyshire.
“I have long felt that the Conservative Party, both locally and nationally, are losing touch with their electorate.
“While acknowledging that, as a party, the... read more
Most read news
- 12:14 US firm acquires a quarter of all Man Utd shares available on New...
- 12:13 Ship leaves Libya rebel port carrying oil, official and gunmen say
- 12:08 Man City can't take false hope from Barcelona's La Liga struggles,...
- 12:07 Tesco loses share as discounters snap at its heels
- 12:07 Malaysia Airlines MH370: Stolen passport passengers had 'no terror...
- 11:36 Chelsea's loan star keeper Thibaut Courtois wants to compete for...
- 11:25 School children find body in Leeds woods
- 10:49 School children find body in woods in Leeds
- 10:49 Arsenal teenage star Zelalem set to sign three-year deal as Wenger...
- 09:57 No excuses! Liverpool have 10 cup finals to return to the promised...