HEAGE: Tory councillor defects to UKIP
A Conservative county councillor has defected to UKIP.
Councillor Juliette Stevens, who was elected to Derbyshire County Council in 2009, said the Conservative Party was losing “touch with their electorate”.
Ms Stevens, from Heage, who has previously been leader of Ripley Town Council and sat on Amber Valley Borough Council, said: “I’d encourage anybody who has been turned off voting by three tired old parties to look at what UKIP can offer, a chance to bring real democracy back to local politics in Derbyshire.
“I have long felt that the Conservative Party, both locally and nationally, are losing touch with their electorate.
“While acknowledging that, as a party, the... read more
Most read news
- 13:43 Ryanair to make non-binding offer for Cyprus Airways
- 13:36 Apple wines and halloumi sausages?
- 13:35 Suspects in India teen-hanging case may walk free, for now - source
- 13:32 Germany plans to clamp down on EU migrant benefit abuse
- 13:32 UPDATE 2-Foxtons warning on slowdown overshadows special dividend
- 13:11 German consumer morale drops going into September - GfK
- 13:08 £10,000 funding boost for Derby man's job-seeking company
- 13:06 Crime in brief
- 13:02 Hartlepool United boss does ice bucket challenge for Finlay Cooper...
- 12:19 How Louis van Gaal's first three Manchester United results compare...