HEAGE: Tory councillor defects to UKIP
A Conservative county councillor has defected to UKIP.
Councillor Juliette Stevens, who was elected to Derbyshire County Council in 2009, said the Conservative Party was losing “touch with their electorate”.
Ms Stevens, from Heage, who has previously been leader of Ripley Town Council and sat on Amber Valley Borough Council, said: “I’d encourage anybody who has been turned off voting by three tired old parties to look at what UKIP can offer, a chance to bring real democracy back to local politics in Derbyshire.
“I have long felt that the Conservative Party, both locally and nationally, are losing touch with their electorate.
“While acknowledging that, as a party, the... read more
Most read news
- 00:52 Push for tax-avoidance curbs in G-20 threatens Publicis-Omnicom deal
- 00:52 Barclays under fire as investors revolt
- 00:52 AstraZeneca boosted by drug moves
- 00:52 British boycott taxes Starbucks
- 00:52 Virgin Atlantic profits set to take off
- 00:52 All smiles at Unilever as global sales grow
- 00:52 Chapel Down blames British weather for profit downfall
- 00:37 Sandy Jardine: Rangers Legend Dies Aged 65
- 00:35 Grace Dent on TV: Restaurant Wars: The battle for Manchester BBC2
- 00:35 An Episode In The Life Of An Iron Picker, film review: Grimly...