Insight - In eastern Syria oil smugglers benefit from chaos
Powerful Sunni Muslim tribes have deployed armed fighters around oil production facilities and pipelines that have fallen under their control and set up smuggling and trade deals, according to sources in the province including rebels, an oil company employee and people with ties to the tribes.
Deir al-Zor is critical to Syrian oil output that has more than halved in the past two years of fighting. The hijacking of the oil industry by tribes complicates Western efforts to help the Syrian... read more
- 15:48 Sainsbury's and M&S under fire over executive and staff pay disparity
- 15:40 EU threatens to withdraw euro in Greece amid fears a major bank is...
- 15:33 Maine man killed after trying to launch firework from top of his head
- 15:31 Transfer News: Arsenal stun Liverpool, Man United's £25m deal,...
- 15:16 More cuts feared in next week's Budget as Osborne lines up a law...
- 15:13 Liverpool "set to complete Christian Benteke transfer this week'
- 14:14 Manchester United "make £10.6million transfer offer for Torino's...
- 13:55 Arsenal "making efforts to sign Real Madrid's Karim Benzema, Arsene...
- 13:42 Manchester United "weigh up transfer of Yohan Cabaye'
- 12:25 Manchester United full-back Luke Shaw loses three kilograms after...