Insight - In eastern Syria oil smugglers benefit from chaos
Powerful Sunni Muslim tribes have deployed armed fighters around oil production facilities and pipelines that have fallen under their control and set up smuggling and trade deals, according to sources in the province including rebels, an oil company employee and people with ties to the tribes.
Deir al-Zor is critical to Syrian oil output that has more than halved in the past two years of fighting. The hijacking of the oil industry by tribes complicates Western efforts to help the Syrian... read more
- 00:56 Vatican envoy on child sex abuse charges found dead
- 00:56 Two weeks to break the deadlock in Libya – UN
- 00:56 Three arrests after 71 migrants ‘suffocate’ in truck
- 00:56 Germans braced for neo-Nazi backlash over immigrants
- 00:56 Libya: 200 feared dead after vessel capsizes
- 00:55 Week in pictures: 22-28 August 2015
- 00:55 Straight Outta Compton charts early days of NWA
- 00:55 How does Usain Bolt run so fast?
- 00:46 Exova swings to profit despite oil and gas downturn
- 00:46 Independent Oil defers payment