iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C: Apple unveil their latest smartphones
View gallery " " " " " " " " " " Apple iS07 View gallery
Where once Apple were the masters of the big reveal, the tech firm’s leaky supply chain in China ensured that there were few genuine surprises at yesterday’s launch.
Nevertheless, Tim Cook’s official unveiling filled in a few of blank spaces about the two new handsets, confirming Apple’s handset is once again the smartest on the block.
While the 5S’s fingerprint sensor is a breakthrough and will rightly grab the headlines, biometric scanners are by no means a new feature for mobile phones.
Motorola’s Atrix 4G released all the way back in 2011 featured a fingerprint sensor that was at best temperamental, and grew even less responsive with regular wear and tear.
It remains to be seen how durable Apple’s attempt at the technology is, but during my hands on time, the senor was impressively effective in use, recognising my finger without any fuss it unlocked the phone in a much swifter manner than having to type in a passcode.
It’ll be interesting to see how app makers make use of the feature, with plenty of scope for the likes of banks.
Less likely to grab the attention, but arguably more impressive is the new 64-bit processor, bringing the sort of power you would associate with a fully-fledged desktop computer into your hand.
The clear benefit of the phone’s new chip during my demonstration was the super intelligent new camera, which was able to do the sort of image processing and stabilisation that you would expect from a top of the range DSLR.
The big disappointment for gadget fans in the UK will be the pricetags. The supposedly budget iPhone 5C which starts at a whopping £469 – nowhere near as cheap as had been predicted, while one fellow tech journo remarked that the top of the range 64GB 5S £709 price tag was more than he paid for his fir... read more
Most read news
- 03:07 Wil Anderson – Wiluminati review: 'You could power Adelaide off the...
- 03:07 Stars launched into orbit by web
- 03:06 Radiation problem apology demanded
- 03:04 Ordering by phone the way forward
- 03:00 Jailed Jeremy Forrest DUMPED by schoolgirl lover - for another teacher
- 02:58 Spring-clean your finances: Dust off tired-looking savings and...
- 02:51 Prefabs in peril: Britain's largest remaining estate of the postwar...
- 02:41 Ukraine crisis: Kiev should bridge East and West
- 01:58 Wenger praises £42m man Ozil for 'dirty work' in FA Cup win over...
- 01:58 Anfield expansion plans hit a snag as council and homeowners head...