Iran creates fake blogs in smear campaign against journalists in exile
Iran's smear campaign against journalists in exile includes a fake version of the BBC's Persian website, right. The real BBC site is on the left. Photograph: BBC Iran has been conducting a smear campaign designed to intimidate Iranian journalists living in exile, including apparent death threats.
Cyber-activists linked to the Islamic republic have fabricated news, duplicated Facebook accounts and spread false allegations of sexual misconduct by exiled journalists, while harassment of family members back in Iran has been stepped up by security officials.
The staff at the BBC's Persian service in London are among dozens of Iranian journalists who have been subjected to what appears to be an... read more
Most read news
- 04:25 Jennison Myrie-Williams still believes he made right choice to swap...
- 04:23 Designer Oscar de la Renta dies aged 82
- 04:17 Lucky students could win £10,000 prize by cracking Leeds shopping...
- 04:17 Pumpkin festival proves fruitful for thousands on full opening weekend
- 04:17 Send us a Spooky Selfie to claim a top Halloween prize
- 04:12 China to pitch high-speed trains to California
- 04:01 Winds of up to 55mph expected to hit rush-hour traffic this morning
- 03:51 Charity warning over eczema
- 03:51 Study reveals importance of Ebola screening at international airports
- 03:34 China growth data beats forecasts amid slowdown concerns