Iran creates fake blogs in smear campaign against journalists in exile
Iran's smear campaign against journalists in exile includes a fake version of the BBC's Persian website, right. The real BBC site is on the left. Photograph: BBC Iran has been conducting a smear campaign designed to intimidate Iranian journalists living in exile, including apparent death threats.
Cyber-activists linked to the Islamic republic have fabricated news, duplicated Facebook accounts and spread false allegations of sexual misconduct by exiled journalists, while harassment of family members back in Iran has been stepped up by security officials.
The staff at the BBC's Persian service in London are among dozens of Iranian journalists who have been subjected to what appears to be an... read more
Most read news
- 17:24 In pictures: political body language at Nelson Mandela's Memorial
- 17:16 Millie Mackintosh offers to join Professor Green in a bath as the...
- 17:15 Kevin Pietersen, James Anderson and Graeme Swann rested for ODI...
- 17:15 FTSE LIVE: Footsie stays weak in to the close with some good news...
- 17:15 Bradley Wiggins 'Humbled' By Knighthood
- 17:13 Crăciun fericit (that's Merry Christmas in Romanian)! Watch Chelsea...
- 17:13 Double points at the final race of the season? I'm horrified!...
- 17:13 Martino believes speed is the key against Celtic as Barca look to...
- 17:12 Most Syrian and Palestinian refugees held in Egypt released
- 17:07 Five things to do for a fiver in London this December