Iran creates fake blogs in smear campaign against journalists in exile
Iran's smear campaign against journalists in exile includes a fake version of the BBC's Persian website, right. The real BBC site is on the left. Photograph: BBC Iran has been conducting a smear campaign designed to intimidate Iranian journalists living in exile, including apparent death threats.
Cyber-activists linked to the Islamic republic have fabricated news, duplicated Facebook accounts and spread false allegations of sexual misconduct by exiled journalists, while harassment of family members back in Iran has been stepped up by security officials.
The staff at the BBC's Persian service in London are among dozens of Iranian journalists who have been subjected to what appears to be an... read more
Most read news
- 10:07 Nigel Pearson has some tough calls to make for Leicester City's...
- 10:02 Sistema boss arrested in Russia on money-laundering charges
- 09:55 Spain public debt falls slightly in July from month earlier
- 09:55 South Shields school’s apology after pupils given severed penis...
- 09:52 Bank split 7-2 on interest rate rise
- 09:52 Earby man didn’t shave or cut his hair for six months
- 09:50 Hartlepool United go backwards after 5-1 mauling at Northampton Town
- 09:50 Adele thanks staff who saved her life
- 09:46 Copy Kate: Cara Delevingne parties with Daisy Lowe and Suki...
- 09:42 FCA bans dishonest St James' Place wealth manager Peter Carron for...