Iran creates fake blogs in smear campaign against journalists in exile
Iran's smear campaign against journalists in exile includes a fake version of the BBC's Persian website, right. The real BBC site is on the left. Photograph: BBC Iran has been conducting a smear campaign designed to intimidate Iranian journalists living in exile, including apparent death threats.
Cyber-activists linked to the Islamic republic have fabricated news, duplicated Facebook accounts and spread false allegations of sexual misconduct by exiled journalists, while harassment of family members back in Iran has been stepped up by security officials.
The staff at the BBC's Persian service in London are among dozens of Iranian journalists who have been subjected to what appears to be an... read more
Most read news
- 19:01 Iranian-British woman jailed over sport protest released on bail
- 18:56 Sheffield sparkles during Christmas lights switch on
- 18:38 Missing man may have travelled to Whitby
- 18:33 The Walk: Hawick and the Waverley Line
- 18:23 Why Manchester United did not sell their soul along with Danny Welbeck
- 18:11 Arsene Wenger must change or he will be sacked by Arsenal
- 18:00 Hull 1-2 Tottenham: Christian Eriksen scores late winner for Spurs...
- 17:56 Brendan Rodgers "to be replaced at Liverpool by Borussia Dortmund...
- 17:40 Falcao returns to Man Utd training
- 17:03 If Celtic want to conquer a world, they will have to look beyond...