Iran creates fake blogs in smear campaign against journalists in exile
Iran's smear campaign against journalists in exile includes a fake version of the BBC's Persian website, right. The real BBC site is on the left. Photograph: BBC Iran has been conducting a smear campaign designed to intimidate Iranian journalists living in exile, including apparent death threats.
Cyber-activists linked to the Islamic republic have fabricated news, duplicated Facebook accounts and spread false allegations of sexual misconduct by exiled journalists, while harassment of family members back in Iran has been stepped up by security officials.
The staff at the BBC's Persian service in London are among dozens of Iranian journalists who have been subjected to what appears to be an... read more
Most read news
- 18:52 Teachers considering fresh strikes
- 18:51 Doctor 'vindicated' by tribunal
- 18:48 Man shot dead in city gun attack
- 18:47 VIDEO - Pilgrims at Holy Island
- 18:47 Besieged Muslims face murder, starvation in Central African...
- 18:45 Doctor 'vindicated' by tribunal
- 18:43 Feelings of loss that last forever
- 18:38 Liverpool fans can get Reds over the line in hunt for Premier...
- 18:33 Victory for Lululemon as US judge tosses out lawsuits
- 18:22 Chelsea would make unlikely champions with questionable merit - but...