Iran creates fake blogs in smear campaign against journalists in exile
Iran's smear campaign against journalists in exile includes a fake version of the BBC's Persian website, right. The real BBC site is on the left. Photograph: BBC Iran has been conducting a smear campaign designed to intimidate Iranian journalists living in exile, including apparent death threats.
Cyber-activists linked to the Islamic republic have fabricated news, duplicated Facebook accounts and spread false allegations of sexual misconduct by exiled journalists, while harassment of family members back in Iran has been stepped up by security officials.
The staff at the BBC's Persian service in London are among dozens of Iranian journalists who have been subjected to what appears to be an... read more
Most read news
- 02:58 Suicide survival stories must be told, says Australian mental...
- 02:44 Death Row Inmate Takes Two Hours To Die
- 02:42 MORNING MEETING: Mark Carney's big idea for the Bank of England
- 02:42 Pained Glaxo sees sales take turn for the worse
- 02:42 TalkTalk hopes a deal with BSkyB will take off
- 02:42 Market report: B&M a brand winner
- 02:40 Sheffield United top dogs in third flight: betting
- 02:34 General Motors recalls 717,949 more vehicles
- 02:18 Jim Armitage: The Russians won’t skip the country just yet
- 02:18 Market Report: From oil to tech, deal fever is gripping the City