Iran creates fake blogs in smear campaign against journalists in exile
Iran's smear campaign against journalists in exile includes a fake version of the BBC's Persian website, right. The real BBC site is on the left. Photograph: BBC Iran has been conducting a smear campaign designed to intimidate Iranian journalists living in exile, including apparent death threats.
Cyber-activists linked to the Islamic republic have fabricated news, duplicated Facebook accounts and spread false allegations of sexual misconduct by exiled journalists, while harassment of family members back in Iran has been stepped up by security officials.
The staff at the BBC's Persian service in London are among dozens of Iranian journalists who have been subjected to what appears to be an... read more
Most read news
- 02:45 Clare's Law Rolled Out To Expose Abusers
- 02:44 Malaysia Airlines 'loses contact with plane carrying 239 people'
- 02:40 Drunk gambler who lost £300k sues Las Vegas casino
- 02:40 Birmingham City owner jailed for money laundering
- 02:40 German leader honours WW2 Greek massacre victims
- 02:39 Angelina Jolie faces one more operation as she recovers from double...
- 02:39 Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 passengers
- 02:28 Wedding fashion: The magic of vintage
- 02:20 £50,000 to save historic North Inch golf course
- 02:10 David Moyes plea for Manchester United fans to keep the faith