Knee implants: more evidence needed?
The effectiveness of knee replacement surgery was in the news today, when the BBC and Independent reported that more evidence was needed on the long-term safety of knee implants.
The news, which follows recent reports on the safety of PIP breast implants and certain metal hip implants, is based on a report on knee replacement surgery published in The Lancet medical journal. It argued that although knee replacement surgery is highly successful as a treatment for osteoarthritis, there is a need for more long-term monitoring of surgery outcomes and steps to ensure that patients selected for surgery are suitable.
In addition, the report’s authors say that new implant designs are... read more
Most read news
- 05:32 Family tribute to murdered soldier
- 05:32 Two held in hospital gun alert
- 05:29 Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman
- 05:27 Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman
- 05:26 Warwickshire Police officer charged with misconduct and harassment
- 05:25 Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman
- 05:21 Family tribute to murdered soldier
- 05:21 Police on alert for EDL parade
- 05:18 Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman
- 05:15 Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman