News from Lifestyle
BRITAIN may have failed to make an impact at this year's Eurovision song contest, but a Scottish influence helped Denmark's entry to victory. Emmelie de Forest spent five years working alongside Scottish folk musician Fraser Neill, touring around Denmark
Not quite a year after arriving at Yahoo! from Google, chief executive Marissa Mayer has apparently persuaded her board to approve the purchase of Tumblr – the go-to website for legions of young bloggers and internet sharers – for $1.1bn in cash, despite
1. The Face and Body Gradual Tan It may cost nearly as much as a budget plane ticket to somewhere sunny, but the results are superb. £65, Crème de la Mer, 0870 034 2566 2. Radiance Plus Golden Glow body lotion Not only is the tan element virtually mistak
Ireland's Eurovision entry went into the charts in 17 countries yesterday - despite finishing last in the final. Singer Ryan Dolan said he can't understand why so few countries gave him their vote as now the song Only Love Survives is racing up the chart
THE view today looking down onto King George V Park from Royal Crescent at the northern edge of Edinburgh's New town offers little evidence that it was once the site of one of the most remarkable and unique attractions in Victorian Britain. The Royal Pat
In A climate where start-up festivals come and go and city-based multi-venue events seem to be finding it tough to achieve any degree of longevity, it's pleasing to report that promoter PCL's annual one-day Stag and Dagger jaunt around Glasgow appears to
How strange to hear Mendelssohn's Elijah in German. Yet how wonderfully that clean, clipped language helps cleanse the familiar English translation, created - and stubbornly maintained ever since - for the oratorio's mid-19th century Birmingham premiere,
Themed musical package tours are no fresh innovation but as the nostalgia market folds subsequent generations of music lovers into its comforting embrace, there is hope for any old act with a couple of hits in the bag to face an arena full of fans once a
Rod Stewart has celebrated a return to the top of the album charts after 34 years with a champagne toast. The 68-year-old star said he was “very proud” to have achieved his 15th number one with his new album Time. Speaking at a rehearsal studio in west L
DRESSED in an eye-catching black shift dress, Great Gatsby star Carey Mulligan poses for the cameras at the Cannes Film Festival, where she is promoting her new film, the Coen Brothers' Inside Llewyn Davis. The 27-year-old actress, who appeared in a numb
Earlier this year a team of medics set off for Mount Everest - in a bid to help intensive care patients. Lisa Salmon reports For most people, venturing to the highest mountain range in the world is a culmination of years of training and dedication, the u
For William Wordsworth, the Lake District was a “national property” for all to enjoy. But what the poet, a teetotal, would have made of the first whiskey distillery in the area for more than 100 years is hard to tell. The Lakes Distillery is set to open
Sylvia Beaumont took this photograph of the statute commemorating North Berwick golfer Ben Sayers, who watches over the west links golf course in the town View more images of Scotland on our Facebook page • To submit your picture for publication online o
Former Doctor Who companion Karen Gillan stars in a crowdfunded romcom that will close this year's Edinburgh International Film Festival. Gaby Soutar was on the set for filming in Glasgow Tip-tap, tip-tip, tap. Actor Karen Gillan strides across the woode
The French Duo's hotly anticipated new offering puts the soul back into dance music as Daft Punk invite an impressive guest list along to the party Daft Punk: Random Access Memories Columbia, £9.99 * * * * Daft Punk are a right pair of romantic old robot
Most read news
- 08:54 Dock move brings Siemens deal closer
- 08:54 Man hurt in Spring Bank West robbery
- 08:41 Britvic to cut costs and take Fruit Shoot to India
- 08:40 Just like the movies! Andrew Garfield recreates on-screen smooch as...
- 08:40 Selby plumber has money on tap as he appears on TV this evening
- 08:37 Business leaders in North East backing Heathrow runway
- 08:37 Bedlington school's lost war memorial turns up in Holland after 40...
- 08:37 THE FUTUREHEADS will be back at the Stadium of Light on June 13...
- 08:36 JAMES CONEY: Share prices soar on back of investors' optimism,...
- 08:36 Savers willing to put money aside each month for a year can earn...