Oliver and Gerrard team up to fight fat
JAMIE Oliver and Steven Gerrard have joined forces with leading figures in health and education to ask the Government to fight obesity through cookery teaching in schools.
In a letter to Prime Minister David Cameron, they call for a minimum of 24 hours’ practical cooking skills and food education for all pupils aged four to 14, while saying the “pride” of hosting the Olympic Games has been “tainted by the shameful fact that Britain is officially the fattest nation in Europe”.
Using the National Curriculum to teach pupils how to prepare nutritious meals for themselves and their families would be an important step in tackling the rising obesity epidemic, the letter argues.
Without... read more
Most read news
- 08:19 Barrington Arms win Challenge Cup in extra time
- 08:19 Perfect timing for Liam’s hole-in-one
- 07:25 Plea for new foster carers
- 07:19 Careless drivers kill bikers, warns father
- 07:19 The bacon and eggs arsonist
- 07:19 Right kids, ready for a game of rounders?
- 07:18 Dortmund boss Klopp heartbroken at Kagawa's 'bit-part' role at United
- 07:16 Doctor talks about rescue of woman with hand stuck in drain cover...
- 06:41 Marine Harvest agrees to limit pesticides and seal killings
- 06:35 Wayne's over the Roo-n! Man United striker 'delighted' after...