Olympic honour for Morley landlady
A PUB landlady from Morley says she "feels like a celebrity" after being named an Olympic torchbearer.
This summer Diane McKenna, the landlady of the Carriers Arms, will be one of 8,000 inspirational people to carry the Olympic Torch on its 70 day, 8,000 mile journey around the UK.
She follows in the footsteps of her friend, Iraq veteran Simon Brown, who was selected for the honour last year and will carry the torch on a stretch through Morley.
The 44-year-old who was nominated for her work for charity and in the community said: “I am so excited. It is just the most amazing thing ever, for me and my family and friends and all my customers at the pub who are so supportive.... read more
Most read news
- 04:27 LIVE REVIEW: Kasabian
- 04:13 Farmers bank benefits of new ways of selling crops
- 04:11 Festive soap round up: Who's in for a merry Christmas?
- 03:57 North Yorkshire village’s apple tree project benefits all
- 03:56 From sitting in a stand to standing out
- 03:56 Cricket unites in mourning after the death of Australian
- 03:56 Bitter rivals are united by grief as India postpone final practice...
- 03:56 Diamond in the rough is beginning to sparkle
- 03:49 Mart sale of prime lamb
- 03:49 Appointment at Alliance