Olympic honour for Morley landlady
A PUB landlady from Morley says she "feels like a celebrity" after being named an Olympic torchbearer.
This summer Diane McKenna, the landlady of the Carriers Arms, will be one of 8,000 inspirational people to carry the Olympic Torch on its 70 day, 8,000 mile journey around the UK.
She follows in the footsteps of her friend, Iraq veteran Simon Brown, who was selected for the honour last year and will carry the torch on a stretch through Morley.
The 44-year-old who was nominated for her work for charity and in the community said: “I am so excited. It is just the most amazing thing ever, for me and my family and friends and all my customers at the pub who are so supportive.... read more
Most read news
- 04:19 Alibaba options expected to be listed on September 29 - exchanges
- 04:17 TEAM NEWS: Hartlepool United versus Northampton Town
- 04:16 South Korea arrests American trying to swim to North Korea - report
- 04:07 Quake strikes northeast of Tokyo, no reports of serious damage
- 04:06 Transit of Venus: stargazers prepare for rare planetary spectacle
- 03:52 Japan nuclear plants not affected by strong quake
- 03:38 Vodafone marks return with charity pledge
- 03:29 Report: It's never too late to alter lifestyle
- 03:29 New and less invasive check has the potential to replace cervical...
- 03:27 Firm fined £200,000 over death