Olympic honour for Morley landlady
A PUB landlady from Morley says she "feels like a celebrity" after being named an Olympic torchbearer.
This summer Diane McKenna, the landlady of the Carriers Arms, will be one of 8,000 inspirational people to carry the Olympic Torch on its 70 day, 8,000 mile journey around the UK.
She follows in the footsteps of her friend, Iraq veteran Simon Brown, who was selected for the honour last year and will carry the torch on a stretch through Morley.
The 44-year-old who was nominated for her work for charity and in the community said: “I am so excited. It is just the most amazing thing ever, for me and my family and friends and all my customers at the pub who are so supportive.... read more
Most read news
- 16:06 Another UK growth forecast, another dollop of egg on the face of...
- 16:06 IMF predicts Britain's GDP growth rate will surge to 3.2% by year end
- 16:05 Train contract will create 300 jobs in Hebburn
- 16:05 Ashley gives fake art warning
- 16:04 'My tribute to dad's foot race against train' - Michael Heaton from...
- 16:04 When Paris Went Dark, The City of Light under German Occupation,...
- 16:04 Diary of the Dark Years, 1940-1944 Collaboration, Resistance and...
- 16:03 Traveller tried to disrupt procession
- 15:54 Germany's current-account surplus is partly to blame for eurozone...
- 10:58 Louis van Gaal gives Wayne Rooney and Antonio Valencia the most...