Olympic honour for Morley landlady
A PUB landlady from Morley says she "feels like a celebrity" after being named an Olympic torchbearer.
This summer Diane McKenna, the landlady of the Carriers Arms, will be one of 8,000 inspirational people to carry the Olympic Torch on its 70 day, 8,000 mile journey around the UK.
She follows in the footsteps of her friend, Iraq veteran Simon Brown, who was selected for the honour last year and will carry the torch on a stretch through Morley.
The 44-year-old who was nominated for her work for charity and in the community said: “I am so excited. It is just the most amazing thing ever, for me and my family and friends and all my customers at the pub who are so supportive.... read more
Most read news
- 19:11 A History of the First World War in 100 moments: A visit to the...
- 19:08 Scots worker dies on Malaysian oil rig
- 19:04 ADVISORY-European market reports resume on April 22
- 19:02 Hotel group Accor held back by problems in home market
- 19:02 The Walton Sextuplets at 30 on ITV tonight
- 18:56 Syria conflict: ‘We will be martyrs’ say rebel fighters from inside...
- 18:56 Places are still up for grabs at new primary academy
- 18:47 West Ham defender James Tomkins' trial for assault outside Towie...
- 18:44 Watch: See the incredible moment North Wales girl hears for the...
- 17:14 Sunderland’s Italian ace wanted by West Ham as Man United scout...