Pakistan bomb kills at least five in Shia Ashura procession
Pakistani Shia Muslims pray during an Ashura procession in Karachi. At least 30 people have been killed in similar attacks recently. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images The Taliban have said it carried out a bombing that killed at least five people and wounded more than 90 others at a Shia religious procession in north-west Pakistan on Sunday.
At least 30 people died in five attacks on the minority Muslim sect over the past five days, while about 100 have been wounded in the runup to the annual Ashura holiday, which commemorates the 7th-century death of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson. The schism between Sunni Muslims and Shias dates to that time.
The explosion occurred as hundreds of Shias were... read more
Most read news
- 10:44 Andy Murray: I will do whatever I can to help Elena Baltacha
- 10:42 Liverpool FC chief looking to get back into European top-10 rich list
- 10:41 Toni Kroos admits Manchester United move 'remains a possibility'...
- 10:36 Thomas Muller tells Arsenal rampant Bayern Munich won't be complacent
- 10:33 Delivered by Amazon, your food shopping: Web giant set to launch...
- 10:33 The five-second rule DOES exist: Eating food that's been dropped on...
- 10:33 Two MIT researchers want to create an archive of Shakespeare's...
- 10:30 China rights advocates rally for Uighurs after knife attack
- 10:29 Softbank unit invests in Alibaba-backed online education firm
- 10:08 Man Utd's Juan Mata aims to take 'good feelings' from West Brom win...