Pakistan bomb kills at least five in Shia Ashura procession
Pakistani Shia Muslims pray during an Ashura procession in Karachi. At least 30 people have been killed in similar attacks recently. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images The Taliban have said it carried out a bombing that killed at least five people and wounded more than 90 others at a Shia religious procession in north-west Pakistan on Sunday.
At least 30 people died in five attacks on the minority Muslim sect over the past five days, while about 100 have been wounded in the runup to the annual Ashura holiday, which commemorates the 7th-century death of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson. The schism between Sunni Muslims and Shias dates to that time.
The explosion occurred as hundreds of Shias were... read more
- 19:54 Scientists: "Drinking makes you a better driver'
- 19:52 Holywell Town 4 Penrhyndeudraeth 2: John Haseldin targets treble...
- 19:50 Mum "looks like she's about to stamp on baby' in row with husband
- 19:46 General Election 2015 explained: Gambling
- 19:43 Jurgen Klopp and Rafa Benitez favourites for Liverpool job if...
- 19:43 Fire crews tackle blaze at Bottesford homes
- 19:09 Vigilante mob attack suspected paedophiles after luring them to...
- 18:07 Fire in row of cottages in Bottesford treated as potential crime scene
- 16:30 LOOK: Filming on Hollywood movie King Arthur moves to Snowdonia lake
- 16:05 Man Utd News: Reds launch bid for star, Di Maria revelation,...