Pakistan bomb kills at least five in Shia Ashura procession
Pakistani Shia Muslims pray during an Ashura procession in Karachi. At least 30 people have been killed in similar attacks recently. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images The Taliban have said it carried out a bombing that killed at least five people and wounded more than 90 others at a Shia religious procession in north-west Pakistan on Sunday.
At least 30 people died in five attacks on the minority Muslim sect over the past five days, while about 100 have been wounded in the runup to the annual Ashura holiday, which commemorates the 7th-century death of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson. The schism between Sunni Muslims and Shias dates to that time.
The explosion occurred as hundreds of Shias were... read more
Most read news
- 06:23 Is it worth it? The weighted vest
- 06:23 Alys Fowler: sweet peas
- 06:23 Oysters caught the old-fashioned way
- 06:23 Modern tribes: the networker
- 06:23 Beauty: super serums
- 06:23 Tim Dowling: the dryer has now exercised its right to die
- 06:23 Wine: cheap reds to make Bonfire Night go off with a bang
- 06:14 Crush of the week: Helen Mirren
- 06:12 Festive fair will help to fund a show
- 06:09 Sheffield arthritis patient wins legal battle against holiday firm...