Pakistan bomb kills at least five in Shia Ashura procession
Pakistani Shia Muslims pray during an Ashura procession in Karachi. At least 30 people have been killed in similar attacks recently. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images The Taliban have said it carried out a bombing that killed at least five people and wounded more than 90 others at a Shia religious procession in north-west Pakistan on Sunday.
At least 30 people died in five attacks on the minority Muslim sect over the past five days, while about 100 have been wounded in the runup to the annual Ashura holiday, which commemorates the 7th-century death of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson. The schism between Sunni Muslims and Shias dates to that time.
The explosion occurred as hundreds of Shias were... read more
Most read news
- 09:02 How West Brom can beat Manchester City on Monday Night Football
- 08:50 OBSERVER: Politics - it certainly keeps us talking
- 08:50 Police helicopter in the skies of Calderdale
- 08:48 Police helicopter in the skies of Calderdale
- 08:45 Pirate buster Billy Irving found solace in playing the pipes for...
- 08:44 Minister tours new Harrogate Macmillan center
- 08:41 Exposed: Scotland's 'untouchable' legal high kingpin recruits army...
- 08:41 In pictures: Buoy on Eigg which kids played on and islanders...
- 08:41 Cleared sex case teacher launches new fight in bid to be able to...
- 08:33 Easter recipes: 14 cooking hacks to nail your Sunday roast