Pakistan bomb kills at least five in Shia Ashura procession
Pakistani Shia Muslims pray during an Ashura procession in Karachi. At least 30 people have been killed in similar attacks recently. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images The Taliban have said it carried out a bombing that killed at least five people and wounded more than 90 others at a Shia religious procession in north-west Pakistan on Sunday.
At least 30 people died in five attacks on the minority Muslim sect over the past five days, while about 100 have been wounded in the runup to the annual Ashura holiday, which commemorates the 7th-century death of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson. The schism between Sunni Muslims and Shias dates to that time.
The explosion occurred as hundreds of Shias were... read more
Most read news
- 04:10 Two men in court over Pc's murder
- 04:10 Lunch hour shoppers in 'last dash'
- 03:59 Arturo Vidal discusses HUGE Manchester United move
- 03:55 Ex-footballer 'seriously injured'
- 03:40 Ex-Sun Hung Kai Properties co-chairman sentenced to five years for...
- 03:27 JPMorgan data breach entry point identified - NYT
- 02:27 Celtic chasing Senegal international Kara Mbodj... but could face...
- 02:03 Liverpool should sign Paul Pogba to replace Steven Gerrard, insists...
- 22:25 Former PFA Chairman Clarke Carlisle in hospital following serious...
- 22:12 Former footballer Clarke Carlisle hospitalised after being hit by...