Pakistan bomb kills at least five in Shia Ashura procession
Pakistani Shia Muslims pray during an Ashura procession in Karachi. At least 30 people have been killed in similar attacks recently. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images The Taliban have said it carried out a bombing that killed at least five people and wounded more than 90 others at a Shia religious procession in north-west Pakistan on Sunday.
At least 30 people died in five attacks on the minority Muslim sect over the past five days, while about 100 have been wounded in the runup to the annual Ashura holiday, which commemorates the 7th-century death of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson. The schism between Sunni Muslims and Shias dates to that time.
The explosion occurred as hundreds of Shias were... read more
Most read news
- 22:29 Man stabbed outside North Walkden Primary School, Greater Manchester
- 22:27 Real Sociedad’s new manager David Moyes enjoys first win against Elche
- 22:25 Stephen Jardine: Celebrate a feast day of our own
- 22:25 Around Scotland in five pictures
- 22:25 Crunch time! Andy Farrell reveals England squad frustration ahead...
- 22:23 Breastfeeding targets set up new mothers to fail. Let's get real
- 22:21 I'm A Celebrity: Nadia Forde takes a dip in the jungle shower and...
- 22:19 Wealth of talent in local theatre scene
- 22:09 England’s Andy Farrell wants ‘fightback attitude’ against Australia
- 22:09 Clamour grows for Steffon Armitage to grab England by scruff of the...