Pakistan bomb kills at least five in Shia Ashura procession
Pakistani Shia Muslims pray during an Ashura procession in Karachi. At least 30 people have been killed in similar attacks recently. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images The Taliban have said it carried out a bombing that killed at least five people and wounded more than 90 others at a Shia religious procession in north-west Pakistan on Sunday.
At least 30 people died in five attacks on the minority Muslim sect over the past five days, while about 100 have been wounded in the runup to the annual Ashura holiday, which commemorates the 7th-century death of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson. The schism between Sunni Muslims and Shias dates to that time.
The explosion occurred as hundreds of Shias were... read more
Most read news
- 22:22 Independence referendum: Final exclusive Daily Record poll shows No...
- 22:09 Hillsborough inquest: Two pages of senior officer's notes were deleted
- 22:08 Bug delays Apple's HealthKit availability on iOS 8
- 22:08 Yelp, TinyCo fined by U.S. for improperly collecting kids' data
- 22:06 Firefighters issue smoke alarm warning following tragic Derbyshire...
- 22:06 U.S. inflation surprisingly weak, Fed keeps low rates pledge
- 22:02 Senior officer at Hillsborough tells inquest police 'washed their...
- 21:47 Chinese hacked U.S. military contractors, Senate probe finds
- 21:43 Cats, CVs, confidence and eye contact: The dos and don'ts of...
- 21:37 Instagram's new app Hyperlapse is revolutionising how its users...