Pakistan bomb kills at least five in Shia Ashura procession
Pakistani Shia Muslims pray during an Ashura procession in Karachi. At least 30 people have been killed in similar attacks recently. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images The Taliban have said it carried out a bombing that killed at least five people and wounded more than 90 others at a Shia religious procession in north-west Pakistan on Sunday.
At least 30 people died in five attacks on the minority Muslim sect over the past five days, while about 100 have been wounded in the runup to the annual Ashura holiday, which commemorates the 7th-century death of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson. The schism between Sunni Muslims and Shias dates to that time.
The explosion occurred as hundreds of Shias were... read more
- 17:05 Police appeal for witness of 'altercation' between two men in Longton
- 16:57 England vs Lithuania - LIVE! Follow all the action from the Euro...
- 16:52 Badger found shot dead in Derbyshire
- 16:35 The best egg restaurants in London to dip into over Easter 2015
- 16:30 Aviva Investors backs Imperial College's startup incubator
- 16:15 Louis van Gaal handed injury BOOST as Robin van Persie eyes Man Utd...
- 15:56 Man Utd DETERMINED to keep hold of Angel Di Maria this summer
- 15:51 He's extraordinary! Arsenal legend Thierry Henry praises Chelsea...
- 15:50 Manchester United "not prepared to sell Angel Di Maria this summer'
- 15:33 Man Utd confident of signing Clyne and Strootman as LVG eyes...