Pakistan bomb kills at least five in Shia Ashura procession
Pakistani Shia Muslims pray during an Ashura procession in Karachi. At least 30 people have been killed in similar attacks recently. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images The Taliban have said it carried out a bombing that killed at least five people and wounded more than 90 others at a Shia religious procession in north-west Pakistan on Sunday.
At least 30 people died in five attacks on the minority Muslim sect over the past five days, while about 100 have been wounded in the runup to the annual Ashura holiday, which commemorates the 7th-century death of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson. The schism between Sunni Muslims and Shias dates to that time.
The explosion occurred as hundreds of Shias were... read more
Most read news
- 12:42 Linkage to bring festive feel
- 12:42 Bingham Belle to sing in RAF concert in Nottingham
- 12:39 Police in appeal over school vandalism
- 12:36 Man Utd set to pip Arsenal and Liverpool to Bayern star with SHOCK...
- 12:35 Manchester United injuries: EIGHT stars on the treatment table as...
- 12:33 Man Utd gossip: Coleman price, Odegaard decision, Miranda deal
- 12:18 Man City gossip: Guidetti fee agreed, £200m Messi, Lampard stay
- 12:13 Arsenal and Man Utd in battle for £12m Hull star Andy Robertson
- 12:08 Herald History: Tamworth scholar who hooked up with King Henry II
- 11:32 Arsenal fan left "heartbroken' after leaving Emirates Stadium in...