Pakistan bomb kills at least five in Shia Ashura procession
Pakistani Shia Muslims pray during an Ashura procession in Karachi. At least 30 people have been killed in similar attacks recently. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images The Taliban have said it carried out a bombing that killed at least five people and wounded more than 90 others at a Shia religious procession in north-west Pakistan on Sunday.
At least 30 people died in five attacks on the minority Muslim sect over the past five days, while about 100 have been wounded in the runup to the annual Ashura holiday, which commemorates the 7th-century death of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson. The schism between Sunni Muslims and Shias dates to that time.
The explosion occurred as hundreds of Shias were... read more
- 08:28 Up to 99% of Everest's glaciers could be gone by 2100: Global...
- 08:27 B&Q shake-up pursued as sales slide
- 08:27 Five Chelsea stars that could be given transfers this summer
- 08:24 Triplet baby goats. In jumpers. That is all
- 08:24 French barman guilty over 56 shots that killed customer
- 08:20 Man who smoked pot with chameleon is cleared of animal cruelty
- 08:19 Boy fights for life after medics revive him following two-car crash
- 08:17 Norway's sovereign wealth fund accused of 'pretend divestment'
- 08:11 Chelsea line up £7m bid to beat Man Utd to exciting Arsenal fan...
- 08:11 Man Utd to announce Ilkay Gundogan deal THIS WEEKEND after agreeing...