Pakistan bomb kills at least five in Shia Ashura procession
Pakistani Shia Muslims pray during an Ashura procession in Karachi. At least 30 people have been killed in similar attacks recently. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images The Taliban have said it carried out a bombing that killed at least five people and wounded more than 90 others at a Shia religious procession in north-west Pakistan on Sunday.
At least 30 people died in five attacks on the minority Muslim sect over the past five days, while about 100 have been wounded in the runup to the annual Ashura holiday, which commemorates the 7th-century death of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson. The schism between Sunni Muslims and Shias dates to that time.
The explosion occurred as hundreds of Shias were... read more
Most read news
- 04:27 Moderate quake hits El Salvador, no injuries reported
- 04:27 Green light for president-elect Widodo boosts Indonesian markets
- 04:16 MasterChef and My Kitchen Rules hosts 'not qualified to give...
- 04:09 At least 27 dead in bus crash in Egypt's Sinai
- 04:05 Middle Lane Hogging Rife Despite Fine Threat
- 04:00 London priciest European city for culture, says survey
- 03:52 Referendum campaign in final stage
- 03:47 GCSE results day at Hipperholme and Lightlcliffe High School
- 03:38 Indira Gandhi assassination: Controversial film blocked
- 03:24 EIF reviews