Pakistan bomb kills at least five in Shia Ashura procession
Pakistani Shia Muslims pray during an Ashura procession in Karachi. At least 30 people have been killed in similar attacks recently. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images The Taliban have said it carried out a bombing that killed at least five people and wounded more than 90 others at a Shia religious procession in north-west Pakistan on Sunday.
At least 30 people died in five attacks on the minority Muslim sect over the past five days, while about 100 have been wounded in the runup to the annual Ashura holiday, which commemorates the 7th-century death of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson. The schism between Sunni Muslims and Shias dates to that time.
The explosion occurred as hundreds of Shias were... read more
Most read news
- 11:54 Langenberg Wildlife Park in Switzerland serve excess animals up in...
- 11:43 Manchester United line up MONSTER £90m bid to bring Gareth Bale to...
- 11:37 Living vroom – the only place to park your supercar
- 10:53 Ajax admit interest in taking Man United star Adnan Januzaj on loan
- 10:46 Manchester United star Angel Di Maria in line for top gong
- 10:25 Results: Man Utd fans want Robin van Persie to be dropped for...
- 10:02 Liverpool News: Source reveals Balotelli EXIT plan, cash for new...
- 10:02 I know who threw the pizza! Arsenal's Wenger lifts the lid on Man...
- 09:42 Chelsea transfer news: Blues will have to pay £63m to land Paul Pogba
- 09:29 Man killed in Hebden Bridge hit-and-run