Pakistan bomb kills at least five in Shia Ashura procession
Pakistani Shia Muslims pray during an Ashura procession in Karachi. At least 30 people have been killed in similar attacks recently. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images The Taliban have said it carried out a bombing that killed at least five people and wounded more than 90 others at a Shia religious procession in north-west Pakistan on Sunday.
At least 30 people died in five attacks on the minority Muslim sect over the past five days, while about 100 have been wounded in the runup to the annual Ashura holiday, which commemorates the 7th-century death of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson. The schism between Sunni Muslims and Shias dates to that time.
The explosion occurred as hundreds of Shias were... read more
Most read news
- 12:08 Beatles George Harrison memorial tree killed by beetles
- 12:06 Woody Allen eyes film with Kevin Spacey in first podcast appearance
- 12:05 Why Manchester City should not sign a striker as cover for Alvaro...
- 12:01 Planner throw out Crich nuclear tip housing proposal
- 11:57 Sky reporter 'got things wrong' at MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 11:57 South Knighton residents fight plans for homes on garden land
- 11:31 Manchester United transfer news: Jurgen Klopp dismisses rumours...
- 11:12 Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger says he will not be signing a...
- 10:40 Cockburnspath road accident
- 09:26 Manchester United pre-season tour: Louis van Gaal maintains his...