Pakistan bomb kills at least five in Shia Ashura procession
Pakistani Shia Muslims pray during an Ashura procession in Karachi. At least 30 people have been killed in similar attacks recently. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images The Taliban have said it carried out a bombing that killed at least five people and wounded more than 90 others at a Shia religious procession in north-west Pakistan on Sunday.
At least 30 people died in five attacks on the minority Muslim sect over the past five days, while about 100 have been wounded in the runup to the annual Ashura holiday, which commemorates the 7th-century death of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson. The schism between Sunni Muslims and Shias dates to that time.
The explosion occurred as hundreds of Shias were... read more
Most read news
- 03:21 Gaza fighting flares again
- 03:21 Ukraine closes in on plane crash site
- 03:21 Protests as president goes on the offensive
- 03:18 Putting flesh on the bones of a myth with ritualistic dance
- 03:13 Jailed rapist will serve six more years
- 03:13 Thug jailed for robbing pensioner
- 03:13 Dariusz Dziekanowski: 'I'll not have to sit there with a heart...
- 03:13 Hughes: No date yet for Foran comeback
- 03:13 Scots set up camp in search for talent
- 03:13 Way ahead is clear for Oxley and Hibernian