Pakistan bomb kills at least five in Shia Ashura procession
Pakistani Shia Muslims pray during an Ashura procession in Karachi. At least 30 people have been killed in similar attacks recently. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images The Taliban have said it carried out a bombing that killed at least five people and wounded more than 90 others at a Shia religious procession in north-west Pakistan on Sunday.
At least 30 people died in five attacks on the minority Muslim sect over the past five days, while about 100 have been wounded in the runup to the annual Ashura holiday, which commemorates the 7th-century death of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson. The schism between Sunni Muslims and Shias dates to that time.
The explosion occurred as hundreds of Shias were... read more
Most read news
- 16:41 Iranian woman to be executed for killing man "who tried to rape her'
- 16:41 Arsene Wenger victim of scathing attack by Arsenal flop Gervinho
- 16:41 Tottenham lead Premier League rivals in race for Italian striker
- 16:40 VIDEO: 'Cigarettes, chocolate and cocaine,' Stephen Fry's...
- 16:38 Are criminals watching you have sex?
- 16:32 Liverpool abandon Karim Benzema interest in favour of £31m Gonzalo...
- 16:21 Clegg Summons China Ambassador Over Demos
- 16:21 White House Breach 'Will Never Happen Again'
- 16:10 Manchester United to make £51m double transfer bid for Arturo Vidal...
- 14:17 Alan Pardew, average players and a lack of ambition from Mike...