Pakistan bomb kills at least five in Shia Ashura procession
Pakistani Shia Muslims pray during an Ashura procession in Karachi. At least 30 people have been killed in similar attacks recently. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images The Taliban have said it carried out a bombing that killed at least five people and wounded more than 90 others at a Shia religious procession in north-west Pakistan on Sunday.
At least 30 people died in five attacks on the minority Muslim sect over the past five days, while about 100 have been wounded in the runup to the annual Ashura holiday, which commemorates the 7th-century death of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson. The schism between Sunni Muslims and Shias dates to that time.
The explosion occurred as hundreds of Shias were... read more
Most read news
- 01:21 Women Urged To Stop Britons Fighting In Syria
- 01:20 Scotland would beat UK to high speed rail - Salmond
- 01:15 Japan ship firm pays about $40 million to China after seizure - media
- 01:09 Apple beats estimates on iPhones and Macs
- 01:07 Revealed: The 50 Streets With Slowest Broadband
- 01:01 Hated tuition £9,000 tuition fees might not save any money, says...
- 00:55 Flybe launches London City routes in rebirth bid
- 00:48 Man charged after fatal stabbing in Tapestry tapas bar in Mortlake
- 00:30 Lung cancer set to catch breast cancer as the deadliest cancer...
- 00:25 'Friendly' drone on dog leash takes off