Pakistan bomb kills at least five in Shia Ashura procession
Pakistani Shia Muslims pray during an Ashura procession in Karachi. At least 30 people have been killed in similar attacks recently. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images The Taliban have said it carried out a bombing that killed at least five people and wounded more than 90 others at a Shia religious procession in north-west Pakistan on Sunday.
At least 30 people died in five attacks on the minority Muslim sect over the past five days, while about 100 have been wounded in the runup to the annual Ashura holiday, which commemorates the 7th-century death of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson. The schism between Sunni Muslims and Shias dates to that time.
The explosion occurred as hundreds of Shias were... read more
Most read news
- 23:27 WBA 2 Man Utd 2: Player ratings
- 23:26 Adel Taarabt hits back at Harry Redknapp and slams QPR manager's...
- 23:26 Adel Taarabt sparked Harry Redknapp tirade after walking out of...
- 23:26 If Mario Balotelli keeps playing this badly Liverpool will have a...
- 23:21 Magnum photographer Rene Burri dies aged 81
- 23:19 Big Dreams, Small Spaces BBC2 -TV review: Brace yourself for Monty,...
- 23:19 Actavis, Sanofi among bidders for Omega Pharma- Bloomberg
- 22:29 Arsenal's issues are nothing compared to Champions League opponents...
- 20:33 Death of man found at Knypersley Pool still being treated as...
- 20:08 Burke & Hare return to The Edinburgh Dungeon