Rain eases but there's more to come
Flood waters are receding but forecasters have warned that the recent deluges could be followed by unseasonable frost and sub zero temperatures.
Although dozens of flood warnings remained in place and some rivers were set to reach their peaks, the worst appeared to be over for the time being.
But the rain was expected to return later in the week, along with freezing weather in some areas.
Meteogroup, the weather division of the Press Association, predicted only a brief respite from the downpours.
Senior forecaster Paul Mott said: "It's turning drier over many areas now, and through the night and tomorrow it will be drier.
"But then there will be further fairly heavy rain coming... read more
Most read news
- 19:13 'Soldier' beheaded in Woolwich Islamist terror attack
- 19:07 Xbox One: Has Microsoft lost the name game in the console war?
- 18:55 Main Bahrain opposition group temporarily boycotts talks
- 18:49 Motoring review: Bentley Flying Spur
- 18:49 Microsoft's Xbox One: Have the price (Â£399) and release date (30...
- 18:32 Fiat Industrial May Move Tax Base To UK
- 18:25 The Â£16m drug smuggler
- 18:08 "Army cadet" killed in London terrorist attack
- 18:06 Former Manchester United and England star Greenhoff dies aged 60
- 18:06 I'm disappointed but I understand why I was sacked! Pulis opens up...