Sheffield kidnap plot was a ‘scam’, says accused
A MAN accused of helping to kidnap a 14-year-old boy before demanding a £40,000 ransom from his family has admitted to a jury the operation was a "scam'.
But he added that it was not planned and a ‘spur of the moment’ act.
Liban Mohammed, aged 20, of Balfour Drive, Darnall, was allegedly part of a four-strong gang which snatched the schoolboy from outside an off-licence in Darnall before forcing him into a car and driving him to Ringinglow.
Jurors at Sheffield Crown Court were told the abductors demanded a £40,000 ransom and even threatened to chop the youngster’s head off.
Giving evidence, Mohammed said the kidnapping was staged, describing it as a ‘scam all the way... read more
Most read news
- 05:39 Help us to find heroes of healthcare for YEP Best of Health Awards...
- 05:32 Brave Harry’s ‘Runsie’ brings family’s charity total to £45,000
- 05:25 Freshfields recruits veteran M&A partner from Shearman & Sterling
- 05:20 X-Factor bootcamp success for ‘our’ Kayleigh from Leeds
- 05:19 Obama to announce ramped-up efforts to beat Ebola
- 05:14 Health: Experts reveal their post-holiday boosts
- 05:14 Parents struggle help children buy homes
- 05:14 Leeds customers urged to switch energy supplier
- 05:08 Former Smith & Nephew plant set for new housing estate
- 05:06 Japan PM's liberal newspaper critic is humbled by errors