Sheffield kidnap plot was a ‘scam’, says accused
A MAN accused of helping to kidnap a 14-year-old boy before demanding a £40,000 ransom from his family has admitted to a jury the operation was a "scam'.
But he added that it was not planned and a ‘spur of the moment’ act.
Liban Mohammed, aged 20, of Balfour Drive, Darnall, was allegedly part of a four-strong gang which snatched the schoolboy from outside an off-licence in Darnall before forcing him into a car and driving him to Ringinglow.
Jurors at Sheffield Crown Court were told the abductors demanded a £40,000 ransom and even threatened to chop the youngster’s head off.
Giving evidence, Mohammed said the kidnapping was staged, describing it as a ‘scam all the way... read more
Most read news
- 20:49 Lorry carrying 20 tonnes of hay catches fire on A500
- 20:44 Police called as too many housing protesters try to attend meeting...
- 20:44 SA to fast-track bill to block land sales to foreigners
- 20:41 The Collection in Lincoln to host special free Archaeology Day
- 20:36 BBQ-D2 the grill-cleaning robot is just what lazy backyard chefs...
- 20:36 Dog dies in hot car on ferry because pets are banned from the...
- 20:34 Frank Lampard's move to New York City FC played down by Seattle...
- 20:32 Exclusive: Chasing the Ukip vote could kill the Conservative Party,...
- 20:31 BSkyB to unveil 'Sky Europe' deal on Friday
- 20:31 Exclusive - Allegations of GSK corruption spread to Syria