Sheffield kidnap plot was a ‘scam’, says accused
A MAN accused of helping to kidnap a 14-year-old boy before demanding a £40,000 ransom from his family has admitted to a jury the operation was a "scam'.
But he added that it was not planned and a ‘spur of the moment’ act.
Liban Mohammed, aged 20, of Balfour Drive, Darnall, was allegedly part of a four-strong gang which snatched the schoolboy from outside an off-licence in Darnall before forcing him into a car and driving him to Ringinglow.
Jurors at Sheffield Crown Court were told the abductors demanded a £40,000 ransom and even threatened to chop the youngster’s head off.
Giving evidence, Mohammed said the kidnapping was staged, describing it as a ‘scam all the way... read more
Most read news
- 01:56 Samsung profit hit as smartphone growth slows
- 01:56 One in five children has to share a bedroom
- 01:56 Rogue bankers ‘to be stripped of bonuses’
- 01:55 Prince Philip's Former Aide On Sex Charge
- 01:46 Lighter-calorie bites put Greggs on a roll
- 01:46 Pets At Home sits pretty after shares boost
- 01:46 MARKET REPORT: Investor nerves cause FTSE drop
- 01:42 Samsung Electronics sees tough second half after second profit slips
- 01:33 Police HQ scrapped as operations moved out of region
- 01:30 Microsoft board adds mobile savvy with Stanton