Sheffield kidnap plot was a ‘scam’, says accused
A MAN accused of helping to kidnap a 14-year-old boy before demanding a £40,000 ransom from his family has admitted to a jury the operation was a "scam'.
But he added that it was not planned and a ‘spur of the moment’ act.
Liban Mohammed, aged 20, of Balfour Drive, Darnall, was allegedly part of a four-strong gang which snatched the schoolboy from outside an off-licence in Darnall before forcing him into a car and driving him to Ringinglow.
Jurors at Sheffield Crown Court were told the abductors demanded a £40,000 ransom and even threatened to chop the youngster’s head off.
Giving evidence, Mohammed said the kidnapping was staged, describing it as a ‘scam all the way... read more
Most read news
- 09:24 Burkina Faso president refuses to resign in face of violent protests
- 09:23 Inspectors praise Sunderland nursery
- 09:20 Android co-founder Andy Rubin to leave Google
- 09:16 Clinique's put a giant glowing orb in the middle of London
- 09:09 Rally on Britain's FTSE continues after Japan stimulus boost
- 09:05 'I quit my Saturday team because I wasn’t getting a game and I...
- 09:03 Stop selling Halloween outfits that demonise mentally ill, says...
- 09:00 Seth Rogen set to play Steve Wozniak in Danny Boyle's Steve Jobs...
- 08:49 Paul Scholes: West Ham boss Sam Allardyce is finally getting the...
- 08:45 PAPER REVIEW: Liverpool rocked, Man Utd boost, Man City boss' pressure