Simon English: This is alarming, but not nearly as scary as 2008
End of the world starts tomorrow. Again. It's tin hat time. Again. Send for lawyers, guns and gold.
If you're getting tired of this script, that's perfectly understandable. According to the doom-mongers, the eurozone has been in crisis since at least 2009. Or since the euro itself came into existence in 1999, if you really insist.
The dictionary says that a crisis is a time of "intense difficulty, trouble, or danger".
If you believe what you read, that sounds like a fairly permanent state of affairs, so it can't really be a crisis.
Crisis, says Websters, is also a time "when vital decisions mustbe made".
Here's an alternative view. Don't do anything whatsoever. And... read more
Most read news
- 03:10 Two terror suspects shot dead
- 03:10 North Korea launches projectile into the sea
- 03:10 Syrian military force starts offensive on rebel-held town
- 03:10 College student killed by police officer
- 03:07 Whatever penalty Hearts receive will surely just delay the inevitable
- 02:30 Gig review: Stag & Dagger, Glasgow
- 02:26 Analysis - Frontier Markets booming but risks mounting
- 02:22 Hong Kong shares may start week higher, China property in focus
- 01:47 Spurs should push the boat out for Bale, Wenger needs to be given...
- 00:53 Wenger spree! Arsenal grab fourth ahead of rivals Tottenham and...