Statue will celebrate Wirral's Viking heritage
By Geoff Barnes WIRRAL'S deeply-embedded links with its Viking heritage will take solid shape with the erection of an 8ft high Viking warrior at a local park next year.
Campaigners have secured local authority approval for the venture. Now they must raise £40,000 for a bronze figure of Viking leader Ingimund to be sculpted and put in place in Meols Park.
The unveiling next summer will coincide with the maiden voyage of Viking longship Dragon Harald Fairhair which will retrace the sea voyage taken by the Vikings from Scandinavia to Instanbul.
Wirral Viking expert Professor Stephen Harding will help in the design of the statue which sculptor Stephen Hitchin has been commissioned to... read more
Most read news
- 16:25 Philae could come back from the brink in MARCH: Rosetta engineers...
- 16:25 Can anything travel faster than the speed of light? 'Lightning'...
- 16:19 Black Friday sparks start of Christmas shopping rush
- 16:10 Bones found at pub belong to two separate skeletons
- 16:09 Move over badgers: Gray squirrels are next on the government's hit...
- 16:08 Every pupil will get their own personalised library card
- 16:05 Victor Valdes stops training with Manchester United, won't sign for...
- 15:38 The TEN players that Arsene Wenger could move for to save Arsenal's...
- 13:47 Manchester United injury list: Luke Shaw ruled out between four and...
- 13:21 How will Manchester United line up against Hull City?