Statue will celebrate Wirral's Viking heritage
By Geoff Barnes WIRRAL'S deeply-embedded links with its Viking heritage will take solid shape with the erection of an 8ft high Viking warrior at a local park next year.
Campaigners have secured local authority approval for the venture. Now they must raise £40,000 for a bronze figure of Viking leader Ingimund to be sculpted and put in place in Meols Park.
The unveiling next summer will coincide with the maiden voyage of Viking longship Dragon Harald Fairhair which will retrace the sea voyage taken by the Vikings from Scandinavia to Instanbul.
Wirral Viking expert Professor Stephen Harding will help in the design of the statue which sculptor Stephen Hitchin has been commissioned to... read more
Most read news
- 05:16 A life long fascination in the joy of steam
- 05:05 Drivers of foreign cars get away with millions in parking fines
- 05:05 Tide turns as coastal landmark wins cash lifeline
- 05:05 ‘Wicked’ gang attacked frail stroke victim with crowbar
- 05:05 Churches lead the way as nation honours Great War dead
- 04:58 Malcolm Barker: When the lights went out in Europe
- 04:58 Hares fly emerges as a sure-fire winner
- 04:53 Tickets released for 12th Countryside Live
- 04:47 Family reunited with lost treasure trove of photos
- 04:47 Le Grand return for Yorkshire’s man of the moment