Statue will celebrate Wirral's Viking heritage
By Geoff Barnes WIRRAL'S deeply-embedded links with its Viking heritage will take solid shape with the erection of an 8ft high Viking warrior at a local park next year.
Campaigners have secured local authority approval for the venture. Now they must raise £40,000 for a bronze figure of Viking leader Ingimund to be sculpted and put in place in Meols Park.
The unveiling next summer will coincide with the maiden voyage of Viking longship Dragon Harald Fairhair which will retrace the sea voyage taken by the Vikings from Scandinavia to Instanbul.
Wirral Viking expert Professor Stephen Harding will help in the design of the statue which sculptor Stephen Hitchin has been commissioned to... read more
Most read news
- 01:18 She is the view! Carmen Electra sizzles on the beach in a tiny...
- 00:30 Anti-Muslim reprisals after Woolwich attack
- 23:10 Sergio Garcia fights for reputation as Tiger Woods slams 'hurtful'...
- 23:02 Taking the fifth: how Lois Lerner of the IRS followed a...
- 23:02 Mad Men recap: Season six, episode eight – The Crash
- 22:58 Markets rally as Ben Bernanke backs further quantitative easing
- 22:58 Boxing: Carl Froch predicts 'phenomenal' fight against Mikkel Kessler
- 22:58 England v New Zealand: We will try to win it with words, says Neil...
- 22:58 Former Manchester United and England defender Brian Greenhoff dies
- 22:58 Rory McIlroy puts aside management split to revive season