Statue will celebrate Wirral's Viking heritage
By Geoff Barnes WIRRAL'S deeply-embedded links with its Viking heritage will take solid shape with the erection of an 8ft high Viking warrior at a local park next year.
Campaigners have secured local authority approval for the venture. Now they must raise £40,000 for a bronze figure of Viking leader Ingimund to be sculpted and put in place in Meols Park.
The unveiling next summer will coincide with the maiden voyage of Viking longship Dragon Harald Fairhair which will retrace the sea voyage taken by the Vikings from Scandinavia to Instanbul.
Wirral Viking expert Professor Stephen Harding will help in the design of the statue which sculptor Stephen Hitchin has been commissioned to... read more
Most read news
- 21:26 QMS takes upbeat long view of beef prices
- 21:26 Notts: Historical bazaar at Rufford Park
- 21:21 SNP failing female voters - Margo’s last interview
- 21:21 Brian Wilson: Why Scots should beware the V-word
- 21:17 SpaceX launches Nasa cargo bound for International Space Station
- 21:14 Arsene Wenger explains why Mesut Ozil will prove his worth next season
- 21:08 Battle for survival at the Co-op
- 20:58 Cricket: England to take risk by recalling Peter Moores as head coach
- 20:58 Sporting Heroes: Sidney Crosby is icon at 26 but best is yet to come
- 20:47 Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row