Statue will celebrate Wirral's Viking heritage
By Geoff Barnes WIRRAL'S deeply-embedded links with its Viking heritage will take solid shape with the erection of an 8ft high Viking warrior at a local park next year.
Campaigners have secured local authority approval for the venture. Now they must raise £40,000 for a bronze figure of Viking leader Ingimund to be sculpted and put in place in Meols Park.
The unveiling next summer will coincide with the maiden voyage of Viking longship Dragon Harald Fairhair which will retrace the sea voyage taken by the Vikings from Scandinavia to Instanbul.
Wirral Viking expert Professor Stephen Harding will help in the design of the statue which sculptor Stephen Hitchin has been commissioned to... read more
Most read news
- 01:15 Crows and other mammals grieve for their dead, new book claims
- 01:11 UPDATED: Person dies following plane crash
- 01:10 New signing Nicky Featherstone, the former Hull City and Walsall...
- 01:08 Middle East crisis: We know all too much about the cruelty of Isis...
- 01:06 Got the degree – now for the job
- 01:06 Ben Chu: David Cameron should do some homework before sounding off...
- 00:53 James Foley death: US troops were sent on rescue mission to find...
- 00:52 Brazil's Silva launches bid, threatens Rousseff re-election
- 00:47 Power firms 'must face licence axe'
- 00:41 Japan mulls setting aside 1 trillion yen for stimulus next fiscal...