Sunderland walk-in health centre to close
PLANS to create a new walk-in health centre at Sunderland Royal Hospital have been given the green light by NHS chiefs.
It means that the minor injuries unit at Grindon Lane Primary Care Centre will close, with another opening at Houghton PCC.
Health bosses admitted last spring that the creation of four walk-in centres had failed to significantly reduce the strain on Sunderland Royal’s A&E department.
Following a consultation period the decision has now been rubber stamped but it has not yet been decided yet where at the hospital the new 24-hour unit will be.
Walk-in centres at Washington and Bunny Hill will remain open.
Grindon Lane’s minor injuries unit opened its doors in 2006... read more
Most read news
- 06:36 Pornography and the true nature of our desires
- 06:33 Arrested Development review – cooking up a storm
- 06:30 Pope names top economists, finance experts to Vatican body
- 06:29 Gardeners snap up free fruit trees in bid to boost borough
- 06:27 Exhibition: The First Georgians - introducing an age of modernity
- 06:24 Murray keeps quiet on independence
- 06:24 Controversial changes
- 06:19 Fond memories of old cinema
- 06:18 Bid to halt traffic jams at station rolls ahead
- 06:18 American Dar is back in Sheffield