Tammam Azzam's Kiss: an unromantic commentary on the the Syrian conflict
A kiss for the whole world … Tammam Azzam's version of the Klimt masterpiece. Photograph courtesy of the artist and Ayyam Gallery Love is the drug for the best and most effective political art. The powerful and hilarious Berlin Wall graffiti picture that showed a fraternal kiss between Communist leaders Leonid Brezhnev and Erich Honecker became a world-famous work of dissenting art. Banksy emulated its cheek in his mural Kissing Coppers. Now the Syrian artist Tammam Azzam has enlisted one of the greatest kisses in art to protest against his country's suffering in a war watched passively by the outside world.
Azzam has Photoshopped Gustav Klimt's painting The Kiss against a war-ravaged... read more
Most read news
- 09:35 Samsung Galaxy A5 and A3 specs and features: metal construction for...
- 09:34 Israel reopens al-Aqsa mosque compound before Friday prayers
- 09:33 Halloween 2014: 13 reasons to really hate Halloween
- 09:31 Man United and Chelsea under pressure in Gerard Pique race as Man...
- 09:29 Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher: How Man United should line up...
- 09:20 Android co-founder Andy Rubin to leave Google
- 09:16 Clinique's put a giant glowing orb in the middle of London
- 09:09 Rally on Britain's FTSE continues after Japan stimulus boost
- 08:49 Paul Scholes: West Ham boss Sam Allardyce is finally getting the...
- 08:45 PAPER REVIEW: Liverpool rocked, Man Utd boost, Man City boss' pressure