Tammam Azzam's Kiss: an unromantic commentary on the the Syrian conflict
A kiss for the whole world … Tammam Azzam's version of the Klimt masterpiece. Photograph courtesy of the artist and Ayyam Gallery Love is the drug for the best and most effective political art. The powerful and hilarious Berlin Wall graffiti picture that showed a fraternal kiss between Communist leaders Leonid Brezhnev and Erich Honecker became a world-famous work of dissenting art. Banksy emulated its cheek in his mural Kissing Coppers. Now the Syrian artist Tammam Azzam has enlisted one of the greatest kisses in art to protest against his country's suffering in a war watched passively by the outside world.
Azzam has Photoshopped Gustav Klimt's painting The Kiss against a war-ravaged... read more
Most read news
- 16:44 Crystal Palace 3 Liverpool 1: Season is going from bad to worse for...
- 16:43 Man Utd and Arsenal prepare loan bids for Barcelona's Thomas Vermaelen
- 16:41 Captain Mile Jedinak praises 'massive' Crystal Palace response...
- 16:37 Borussia Dortmund's Jurgen Klopp lined up to replace Liverpool's...
- 16:33 Has Grimsby's Kevin Clifton and fiancé Karen Hauer done enough to...
- 16:32 World's Greatest Food Markets on BBC2 tonight, with Billingsgate...
- 16:28 Skate park to be opened in spring
- 15:24 Record breaking pub crawl visits 18,000th boozer
- 15:15 Passengers flee Charing Cross train thinking there is a bomb on board
- 12:36 Man Utd set to pip Arsenal and Liverpool to Bayern star with SHOCK...