Tammam Azzam's Kiss: an unromantic commentary on the the Syrian conflict
A kiss for the whole world … Tammam Azzam's version of the Klimt masterpiece. Photograph courtesy of the artist and Ayyam Gallery Love is the drug for the best and most effective political art. The powerful and hilarious Berlin Wall graffiti picture that showed a fraternal kiss between Communist leaders Leonid Brezhnev and Erich Honecker became a world-famous work of dissenting art. Banksy emulated its cheek in his mural Kissing Coppers. Now the Syrian artist Tammam Azzam has enlisted one of the greatest kisses in art to protest against his country's suffering in a war watched passively by the outside world.
Azzam has Photoshopped Gustav Klimt's painting The Kiss against a war-ravaged... read more
Most read news
- 13:53 Gritting review - the winners and losers
- 13:53 Warwickshire leaders call summit after Rotherham abuse cases
- 13:40 Lending to small businesses under Bank of England's FLS falls again
- 13:39 ‘Contact us’ – detectives plea to sex victims after Hartlepool...
- 13:37 Vivendi picks Telefonica for exclusive talks on GVT sale
- 13:13 Manchester United set to battle Barcelona and Juventus for...
- 12:47 TACKLE KEOWN: Arsenal legend answers your questions on Angel di...
- 12:05 Danny Welbeck transfer: Tottenham emerge as favourites for...
- 12:04 Wilfried Zaha confirms return to Crystal Palace after his...
- 11:43 Manchester City are leading contenders to win the Champions League,...