Tammam Azzam's Kiss: an unromantic commentary on the the Syrian conflict
A kiss for the whole world … Tammam Azzam's version of the Klimt masterpiece. Photograph courtesy of the artist and Ayyam Gallery Love is the drug for the best and most effective political art. The powerful and hilarious Berlin Wall graffiti picture that showed a fraternal kiss between Communist leaders Leonid Brezhnev and Erich Honecker became a world-famous work of dissenting art. Banksy emulated its cheek in his mural Kissing Coppers. Now the Syrian artist Tammam Azzam has enlisted one of the greatest kisses in art to protest against his country's suffering in a war watched passively by the outside world.
Azzam has Photoshopped Gustav Klimt's painting The Kiss against a war-ravaged... read more
Most read news
- 14:58 English football is not in the doldrums insists Everton boss...
- 14:13 How will Manchester United line up against Sunderland?
- 14:10 Passport website sues its customers
- 13:58 Not for sale! Arsenal and Manchester City told transfer target Jose...
- 13:48 REVEALED: Manchester United's ORDER to boss Louis van Gaal
- 13:11 Update: Two arrested on suspicion of murder in Tunstall
- 12:52 'Sorry we missed you': Yodel courier takes a POO on couple's lawn
- 12:45 Flint paper mill fire brought under control after more than two hours
- 12:32 #TheDress: What colours do you see when you look at this dress?
- 12:11 Man Utd News: Double deal SIGNED, dressing room bust-up, Di Maria...