Tammam Azzam's Kiss: an unromantic commentary on the the Syrian conflict
A kiss for the whole world … Tammam Azzam's version of the Klimt masterpiece. Photograph courtesy of the artist and Ayyam Gallery Love is the drug for the best and most effective political art. The powerful and hilarious Berlin Wall graffiti picture that showed a fraternal kiss between Communist leaders Leonid Brezhnev and Erich Honecker became a world-famous work of dissenting art. Banksy emulated its cheek in his mural Kissing Coppers. Now the Syrian artist Tammam Azzam has enlisted one of the greatest kisses in art to protest against his country's suffering in a war watched passively by the outside world.
Azzam has Photoshopped Gustav Klimt's painting The Kiss against a war-ravaged... read more
Most read news
- 22:47 Teen Pilot Dies In Around-The-World Record Bid
- 22:47 Glasgow Celebrates Start Of Commonwealth Games
- 22:47 Leaders: Find the truth about flight MH17
- 22:34 Jack Pitt-Brooke: Manchester City and Patrick Vieira make the right...
- 22:34 Lincoln City agree deal to sign former Crystal Palace defender Jake...
- 22:30 Vladimir Putin employs a full-time food taster to ensure his meals...
- 22:24 Fiona McCade: The craft to mine a rich seam online
- 22:18 Was John Barrowman's kiss during the Commonwealth Games opening...
- 18:28 Xherdan Shaqiri would be a welcome sight at Anfield if Liverpool...
- 17:49 Tanzania trip tragedy teen Jack Burden: The first picture