Timeline: Sir Basil Spence
THE Scottish architect Sir Basil Spence was born in Bombay, India, but attended George Watson's College in Edinburgh. Here is a timeline of the architect's life.
1925: Enrolled at Edinburgh College of Art. His work, described as possessing an “unusual brilliance”, helped him secure a scholarship. He won numerous awards, while also doing outside work for architects.
1929-30: Worked as an assistant to William Kininmonth in London, in the office of Sir Edwin Lutyens. When he returned to Edinburgh College of Art in 1930 for his final year he was appointed to a lecturing position. He graduated in 1931 and lectured until 1939.
1931: Set up a practice with William Kininmonth in Rutland... read more
Most read news
- 22:43 Peggy celebrates her 100th birthday
- 22:41 Listen and earn: Arsenal prepared to smash wage structure to land...
- 22:37 Shooting-sparked riots continue for fifth night
- 22:33 VIDEO: Bellringing at Ripon Cathedral
- 22:19 Toronto mayor Rob Ford clings on as 'crack video' scandal grows
- 22:19 Frigide Barjot: The French anti-gay marriage leader under attack
- 22:19 Longer than the London riots: Stockholm police ask for...
- 22:12 What a season to be a Green as team wins title
- 21:56 'Too expensive and too corporate' – ITV presenter Adrian Chiles...
- 19:57 Tiger mauls zoo worker in Cumbrian park