Tsunami warning lifted in Japan after strong earthquake
FEARS of another natural disaster have eased slightly in Japan after a tsunami warning was lifted following a strong earthquake off the north east coast.
• Two people hurt but there are no immediate reports of serious damage
• A tsunami of one metre hit Ishinomaki at 9.02am UK time
The magnitude 7.3 quake struck offshore at 8:18am, UK time, causing buildings across much of Japan to sway.
There were no immediate reports of serious damage but two people were hurt.
After the quake, authorities issued a warning that a tsunami potentially as high as two metres could hit. Ishinomaki, a city... read more
- 06:02 'Football is still a cruel old game' and four other things we...
- 05:53 Parents 'too quick' to give children Calpol: Excessive use of the...
- 05:50 Mostyn community anger at 'criminals imported into our midst'
- 05:50 Online groomers targeting North Wales kids as young as 12
- 05:47 Hanley Christmas market is in full swing after damp start
- 05:45 Manchester United clear to snap up Gareth Bale transfer - report
- 05:39 The secretive trade agreements that could scupper climate change...
- 05:38 Broncos end Pats' perfect record as Rob Gronkowski goes down with...
- 05:38 Japan defies UN to send 'research' whaling mission to Antarctic
- 05:36 Learner drivers in Merseyside cannot book tests until February...