Tsunami warning lifted in Japan after strong earthquake
FEARS of another natural disaster have eased slightly in Japan after a tsunami warning was lifted following a strong earthquake off the north east coast.
• Two people hurt but there are no immediate reports of serious damage
• A tsunami of one metre hit Ishinomaki at 9.02am UK time
The magnitude 7.3 quake struck offshore at 8:18am, UK time, causing buildings across much of Japan to sway.
There were no immediate reports of serious damage but two people were hurt.
After the quake, authorities issued a warning that a tsunami potentially as high as two metres could hit. Ishinomaki, a city in Miyagi, reported that a tsunami of one metre hit at 9.02am UK time.
About two hours after the... read more
Most read news
- 14:12 Houston Astrodome: what next for first domed stadium now in disrepair
- 13:56 BECKHAM SIGNS FOR QPR
- 13:16 VIDEO: Bale MK II... Spurs starlet Ceballos shows he can strike it...
- 13:00 Second Coming? See Jose Mourinho pictured wearing a Chelsea shirt...
- 12:56 Motorist dies following crash in Grantham
- 12:56 Moyes' boys: A look at Man United's academy stars who could be the...
- 12:47 Liverpool want Manchester City's Kolo Toure to fill void left by...
- 12:43 Thieving postman jailed
- 12:30 Twitter hit-and-run boast shows dangers of 'road tax' entitlement
- 10:43 David Moyes to fight to keep Wayne Rooney, Gareth Bale to sign...