Warped views on social care
It's a little like being a schizophrenic looking at the world through Alice's looking-glass, being Sir Merrick Cockell.
You have to feel sorry for the poor bloke - or perhaps you don't.
Sir Merrick is the Tory chairman of the Local Government Association and has written a letter to the leaders of all three main political parties about the dire problem of funding care services for the elderly.
A commission chaired by economist Andrew Dilnot has recommended that the state should pick up the cost of care for individuals over and above a raised limit of £35,000.
It will cost the state about £2 billion but the coalition hasn't said who's going to pick up the bill and looks like leaving it to... read more
Most read news
- 01:53 Woody launches tree-friendly paper
- 01:51 School librarian finds fake Blake poem
- 01:40 Gabz rushes out Talent single
- 01:40 Premiere kicks off film festival
- 01:39 Miss Saigon to return to West End in 2014
- 01:38 Nvidia's stock jumps on license plan; Wall Street eyes Apple
- 01:37 Price-cutting hits profits at H&M
- 01:37 Sopranos actor James Gandolfini dies in Italy
- 01:07 Italy 4 Japan 3: Penalty king Balotelli scores AGAIN from the spot...
- 00:17 Liverpool sign 14-year-old Kane from Bristol City as focus on youth...