Woman guilty over flat fire deaths
A woman has been convicted of two counts of manslaughter after she started a fire at a block of flats which killed two women, police have said.
Sandra Clarke, 50, set off the blaze on the day there was due to be a county court hearing over her rent arrears. Flames spread through the tower block and claimed the lives of two women in a neighbouring flat.
Clarke, of Marine Tower, Deptford, south-east London, had denied the charges against her, claiming someone else got into her council-owned accommodation and started the fire while she was out. But jurors did not believe her and she has been found guilty at Woolwich Crown Court.
The court heard how Clarke bought two cans of lighter fuel from... read more
Most read news
- 02:27 Health claims about vitamin D examined
- 02:00 John McAfee resurfaces as ranting video star, mocks McAfee software
- 01:51 School librarian finds fake Blake poem
- 01:40 Premiere kicks off film festival
- 01:39 Miss Saigon to return to West End in 2014
- 01:38 Nvidia's stock jumps on license plan; Wall Street eyes Apple
- 01:37 Record fine for rogue property trader
- 01:37 Price-cutting hits profits at H&M
- 01:07 Italy 4 Japan 3: Penalty king Balotelli scores AGAIN from the spot...
- 00:17 Liverpool sign 14-year-old Kane from Bristol City as focus on youth...