Digital marketing is a broad term that covers a wide range of techniques and activities. Some of these marketing activities include SEO (search engine optimisation), PPC (pay per click /paid ads), email marketing, social media and more. With so much competition there are some amazing digital marketing tools available to assist you in your marketing practises. In this article we are going to be discussing the best digital marketing tools you should be using in 2022.
There are digital marketing tools for each area of marketing and there are a range of tools available to suit all budgets and business sizes. Each tool provides different benefits which range from organising a marketing campaign to tracking and analysing campaigns.
The first digital marketing strategy we want to go through is search engine optimisation. SEO is defined as the practice of improving a website to make its pages rank higher on search engine results pages. The purpose of this digital marketing method is to increase the amount of organic traffic driven to your website. Ranking highly on search engines is important because websites that rank on the first page of results get the most clicks. This is due to the fact that a higher a page ranks, the more authoritative and trustworthy it appears to users.
- Moz pro
The first SEO digital marketing tool we recommend has to be Moz. This is a tool that provides useful SEO software and data which can be used to help increase your sites traffic, rankings and visibility in search engine results pages. Moz does cost, but is affordable at only £179 per month, plus you have access to a free trial before you decide if Moz is right for you. Here are some of the tools available in Moz:
- Site audits- these crawl your site on demand, uncover technical issues that can be damaging from an SEO perspective and recommend improvements you can make.
- Rank tracking- This tool enables you to track and monitor the effectiveness of your SEO activity. You can track hundreds and thousands of traffic driving keywords to see where your site is ranking.
- Backlink analysis- The Moz link index is another useful tool enabling you to see metrics from any site in seconds.
- Keyword research- You can discover keywords to target as well as difficulty scores, competitor research and search engine results page analysis.
- Google search console
The second SEO tool you need to be using is google search console. One of the reasons we love this tool is because it’s free and provides you with some useful insights to monitor, maintain and troubleshoot your website. Here are the benefits of google search console in a bit more detail:
- Confirm crawlability- this tool allows you to check and confirm that google can crawl your website. If your website is not crawlable, it won’t appear on search results.
- Fix indexing- If they’re are any indexing problems that may occur, google search console will help you fix them and request a re-indexing of your site.
- View google search traffic- you can discover how often your website appears in search, which search queries show your site, how often users click through and more.
Our third final SEO tool recommendation is Ahrefs. This software provides similar tools to Moz, but we like to use both to get the most out of our SEO activity. It also means that you won’t miss anything, therefore you are likely to get better results when using both. Here are the tools provided by Ahrefs:
- Site audit- this is a great tool to help you optimise your site
- Site explorer- you can use this tool to analyse your competitors SEO activity and performance
- Keyword explorer- study what your target audience are searching for
- Content explorer- Learn from the industries top performing content
- Rank checker- Track the progress of your search engine ranking results
Paid advertising is at the other end of the spectrum when it comes to digital marketing. This is because unlike organic search engine optimisation, which is a more long term strategy because results take time, paid advertising creates short term wins. The reason why paid advertising tools are useful is because they enable you to monitor the performance of your paid ad activity and make appropriate updates and changes to improve your results.
Although this tool can also be used for analysis of SEO activity and other marketing activities, we prefer to use it for paid advertising. The reason why SEMrush is such a useful tool for paid advertising is because it provides you with intelligence to make your marketing campaign more successful. Here are some of the tools provided by SEMrush:
- Competitive intelligence- this tool enables you to identify the keywords your competitors are targeting and what ads they are using to get traffic.
- Keyword gap tool- this tool allows you to identify the higher value keywords that work for your website.
- PPC keyword tool- this tool enables you to quickly organise your keywords into campaigns and ad groups. It also allows you to see the market prices for each keyword to set initial bids.
- Ad builder- This tool helps you to build search ads that you can upload to google.
- Google ads editor
This tool is free and helps you to save time when it comes to editing your ads. It also means you can make changes to your ads in bulk which is a much more efficient way of doing things in some cases. It also allows you to view statistics for all of your campaigns. Here is what you can do with the google ads editor tool:
- Use bulk editing tools to make multiple changes quickly.
- Export and import files to share proposals or make changes to an account.
- View statistics for all campaigns or a subset of campaigns.
- Manage, edit and view multiple accounts at the same time.
- Search and replace text across ad groups or campaigns.
- Copy or move items between ad groups and campaigns.
- Undo and redo multiple changes while editing your campaigns.
- Make changes in draft before uploading them to your account.
- Keep working even when you’re offline.
When it comes to social media, it is a good idea to plan your content in advance so that you don’t run out of ideas, and more importantly don’t end up posting irrelevant content. Staying on top of content can be difficult though, particularly if you have a number of clients and campaigns running at the same time. When this happens, the best thing to do is use social media toolkit software to help you remain organised.
The first social media marketing tool we are going to recommend is Buffer. This tool is designed to allow you to manage multiple social media accounts at once. The purpose of this is to allow you to schedule posts for Twitter, facebook, Instagram and more. It also helps provide you with detailed analysis of results which you can learn from for future campaigns. It’s affordable too with a completely free option which gives you access to basic published tools or the option to pay a monthly rate of $5 or an annual bill of $60. The paid version gives you access to planning and publishing tools, analytical tools and engagement tools. Try your 14 day free trial to see if this is the social media tool for you.
The next social media management platform we wanted to discuss is Hootsuite. Similar to Buffer, this platform allows you to publish your post and have access to reports. Check out our favourite features of Hootsuite:
- Plan posts with ease
- Work collaboratively
- Stay on top of trends
- Manage incoming messages efficiently
- Access real time audience insights
Hootsuite is one of the most popular social media management platforms available at the moment, however all of these features do come at a cost. The basic subscription plan costs £39 per month and allows you to have up to 10 social accounts, for bigger agencies the cost can range upwards of £520 per month.
The final digital marketing software and tools we are going to be discussing are email marketing platforms. Email marketing can be an extremely effective method of marketing when done correctly. In fact, a study from 2015 found that for every $1 spent on email marketing, the average return on investment is $38. This demonstrates to us that email marketing is definitely worthwhile.
Hubspot is a great piece of marketing software, the self proclaimed ‘CRM platform your whole business will love’. It has all the tools and integrations that you might need for marketing, sales, content management and customer service. Our favorite way to use hubspot is for email marketing. This platform provides you with the ability to reach your customers using personalised email campaigns that are professionally designed to display perfectly across all devices. As part of this tool you will have access to features such as personalisation, segmentation and tracking with every campaign.
Another email marketing platform that you should try is Mailchimp. This email marketing service allows businesses to manage email lists efficiently and create automated email marketing campaigns. It also provides you with useful features like A/B testing to find out which campaigns are more effective. Mailchimp also provides you with smart recommendations, reports and insights to help you get the best out of your email marketing campaigns.
We hope this article has given you some actionable marketing insights into the best tools to use to get the best out of your digital marketing activities. We’ve covered SEO tools, paid advertising tools, social media management tools and email marketing tools. Even though all of these tools are super useful, they can be challenging to use if you don’t have any knowledge or experience with digital marketing. This is because to have a really effective marketing campaign you need to have a sound understanding of digital marketing in the first place. Therefore, it is always a good idea to look into getting some expert advice and maybe investing in a digital marketing consultant or agency who can utilise these tools effectively to grow your business. One example of a digital marketing agency who has tried and tested these tools which has enabled them to be a successful Shopify Partner is Our Digital Team. The team have shared with us that their favourite tools to use include Moz pro, Hubspot and SEMrush.